Replaced Camshaft, STILL won't start

Jsinclair

Threads
Mower: Troy Bilt Pony 42"
Engine: Briggs Intek 17.5HP
Engine model: 31C707-3346-G6

Backstory: I got this mower for free, in pretty good shape! The guy I got it from told me he was mowing on a hill, it smoked and died. Apparently he tried to crank it again (a LOT), and was unsuccessful at that. It was an older gentleman and he didn't want to mess with it so he got a new one and gave the old one to me.

When I got the mower I replaced the battery, starter, starter solenoid, and starter cable. It cranked, and then hung up on the compression stroke. I checked the valves and they were in spec, so I went ahead and ordered a camshaft and gasket kit.

So I tore apart the engine, and the compression release mechanism on the camshaft was broken and in the bottom of the sump. But after doing the engine teardown and rebuild, the thing STILL won't start. It pushes past the compression stroke a lot better, notice I didn't say perfectly, but STILL won't start. I even removed the carburetor and sprayed in ether. Had a small fire, but still no start. What in the world have I missed?? I am at my wit's end with this thing.

List of things I've done/replaced:
- New valve cover gasket
- Adjusted valves
- Cleaned valves and valve seats to a shine
- Cleaned under valve cover, removed lots of carbon
- I noticed the intake valve wasn't seating all that well. Lots of carbon buildup in the intake port under the valve. On the exhaust side, it was clean (in the port, under the valve, that is)
- Lapped valves
- Cleaned head surface
- Cleaned piston, removed carbon
- New head gasket
- Compression test (125psi if I remember correctly)
- New camshaft
- New sump cover gasket
- Cleaned sump religiously (I'd eat out of it, seriously)
- New valve tappets
- Used assembly lube where needed
- New PTO seal
- Cleaned up ignition coil (removed rust)
- Cleaned up flywheel magnet (removed rust)
- Oil change
- New spark plug
- Spark test (passed)
- Cleaned carb fuel bowl, float, with carb cleaner
- Sprayed carb cleaner through each end of carb
- New air filter
- New battery
- New starter
- New starter solenoid
- New starter cable and lug

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
is the flywheel key in tact in the flywheel and crank groove?
It should make a perfect square.

Jsinclair

Threads
I have not checked the flywheel key, I'll rent a flywheel puller tomorrow and check this out. Hopefully the local parts stores rental tool will work on this motor.

Yes, the crank and cam timing marks are lined up.

Jsinclair

Threads
I couldn't wait until tomorrow; had to take the flywheel fan off and have a peak. It looks like the key is okay, but I'll still rent a flywheel puller and have a closer look.

Attachments

• 20200620_222454.jpg
    20200620_222454.jpg
    803 KB · Views: 22

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
key looks fine to me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just remember to re-torque that retaining screw to 110 ft-lbs.; no guessing, use torque wrench.

Now have you tested to isolate if it is fuel supply problem or other problem? Otherwords have you tried induce fuel to if it will start up or not?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whe you checked for spark did you remove the plug and check that the spark will jump a 1/4" gap?

Jsinclair

Threads
@StarTech I've somewhat tested for a fuel problem. I removed the carb and sprayed starting fluid in the intake port. Had a small fire, so I've got spark! But no start. I could spray fuel in the intake port to see how that works. What else can I do to test for a fuel supply problem?

@Hammermechanicman I removed the plug and just grounded it to the block. I did see a spark but I didn't test to see if it would jump a gap. I'll definitely try this later.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry I miss that in the long read.

That tells me that you an internal problem with the engine and not a carburetor problem; although, there is still a chance you need to work on the carburetor later.

As Hammer said check spark jumping nearly .130" - .250". Also double check you mechanical timing of the camshaft and valve adjustments. Plus a known good spark plug as just new doesn't mean it is okay. I have gotten plugs that were bad right out the box.

One last thought, you did install the coil the right way and not upside down?