Replace GCV160 with Predator Engine

HurstGN

Threads
I replaced a Tecumseh engine on an ancient Ariens mower with the Predator clone when the Tecumseh gave up the ghost after about 25 years. On sale, and with a coupon, I got the Predator for about $85. Used it for over 5 years without issue. The drive system eventually went on the Ariens and I dumped it for a Honda. I kept the Predator engine as it was still running perfectly at the time.

JBtoro

Threads
Yes you can. I acquired a Honda HRX217 plastic deck mower that had a busted GCV160. At first I was going to just fix the GCV but the previous owner had taken a lot of it apart, tried to fix it himself, and had lost or mangled a great deal. I just went and bought a Predator 173 and junked the Honda. The Honda had a 25mm shaft, the Predator is 7/8. I bought a little sleeve to put over the crank of the Predator and still had to grind it quite a bit before the original Honda blade adapter would fit. As previously mentioned there are two holes in the bottom of the Predator that will line right up and a third is threaded one instead of four simple holes. I'm assuming that the engine was designed this way to cause frustration and require return trips to the hardware store for odds and ends. The underside of the HRX deck is a bit.... complicated. Everything in the self propulsion mechanism is held together by tension. Once you take the belt off, no tension, everything falls apart, mess. You'll likely need to watch a YouTube video or two to see how it all goes together. Nothing really difficult, just tedious. The Predator requires a throttle cable. I was lucky that the HRX217 had a manual throttle and engine brake. Once everything was hooked up the engine fired right up. The bit of frustration in the install was well worth it. The Predator 173 has been a very good engine. To the point that I can't really tell a performance difference between it and the Honda GCV190 on my other HRX217. Yes I now have two near identical HRX217 mowers...
Are you sure that the HRX217 had the GCV160? They ship with the larger GCV190 so someone could have made a swap. The reason I ask is because I also have an HRX217 deck, etc. in decent shape and a good 160 in storage.