Repair plastic shield? JB Plastic weld?

longhike

Threads
I have an old Weedeater edger that has a shield similar to a string trimmer. It’s cracked and missing a chunk at the front, structurally it’s sturdy but the blade spins so that it shoots forward instead of my other Echo edger which shoots dirt back.

I’m wondering if anyone has any luck repairing plastic guards... JB plastic weld or similar? I have a feeling this is too much stress for it to work

My other option is just to yell duck!

thanks in advance

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the JB Plastic Weld is anything like the last I brought; forget it. It simply didn't work overnight. Reglued the same JD hood with Permatex Plastic Weld wit h good luck. But before try either one check the type of plastic the shield is made of. If HDPE there is nothing cheap that bond it other actual plastic welding.

Permatex Plastic Weld comes in two colors that I know of. Cream and Black. Kinda wish they would come up with a JD green version.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or use a thin strap, & pop-rivet it in place.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the JB Plastic Weld is anything like the last I brought; forget it. It simply didn't work overnight. Reglued the same JD hood with Permatex Plastic Weld wit h good luck. But before try either one check the type of plastic the shield is made of. If HDPE there is nothing cheap that bond it other actual plastic welding.

Permatex Plastic Weld comes in two colors that I know of. Cream and Black. Kinda wish they would come up with a JD green version.
Most parts are HDPE (slick hard plastic). Plastic welding with a soldering iron as stated above is a good option. Keep the tip CLEAN.

slomo

longhike

Threads
I never thought about using a soldering iron, thanks. Since I don’t have the missing chunk I’d have to cut it out of something else. I’ve found a part online for a newer model edger, it looks similar but not listed anywhere as a direct replacement. I may give that a try, or just settle on using my Echo edger all the time.

longhike

Threads
Or use a thin strap, & pop-rivet it in place.
I missed this one, this might just work. The missing piece might do well to be replaced with a metal strap. An upgrade!

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y) If you pop the rivets from the inside outward, there will be little of the head to snag grass etc..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I never thought about using a soldering iron, thanks. Since I don’t have the missing chunk I’d have to cut it out of something else. I’ve found a part online for a newer model edger, it looks similar but not listed anywhere as a direct replacement. I may give that a try, or just settle on using my Echo edger all the time.
You need a flat disc like iron tip. Better than a standard iron tip. I have one about the size of a quarter, works pretty good. Depending on the part needed welding, might have to switch tips around. Keep the heat around high 500F to LOW 600F setting. Thickness and material determines heat. You want a SLOW gentle melting of the plastic. You might experiment on a test piece first before zipping up your project. If you are smoking the plastic, heat is too high. You should have a gentle smoke not a roaring one. Also you have to touch and move the material to keep it level. Those are my tips. Again experiment with it.

I've plastic welded a couple trimmer fuel tanks with zero leaks. My Maruyama trimmer tank replacement costed me $230 done at the mower shop. 15 minutes with an iron = free. My new tank had a seam all around it that leaked twice. Not any more.

If you need plastic filler rod, I use black outdoor UV rated zip ties. Think they are HDPE, tough little guys.

slomo

longhike

Threads
If you need plastic filler rod, I use black outdoor UV rated zip ties. Think they are HDPE, tough little guys.
Out of the box thinking makes me smile.