Repairs Repair MTD Yard Machine 46 inch Deck

WAC

Threads
My Apology I think I posted this originally in the wrong place so I think Im in the right thread area now.

Hi ,

New to forum just happen to come across it while searching for solutions to my riding mower problem.
Okay I have a MTD Yard Machine 46 inch Deck (Model#13AN601H729). I was riding when all of a sudden I noticed Black smoke coming from under engine when Blades where engaged, I disengaged and parked machine the engine Pulley was super hot . I let it cool Started it up to check what was going on and the pulley was going really fast and still causing a bit of smoke so I shut it down. I tried to find answers online unsuccessfully . I removed the belt and it is still fine. I don't want to kill it. I started up without Belt attached no smoke but the Pulley was full speeed turning Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you. Oh I am pretty handy and have done my own repairs and upkeep of my mower by finding solutions online . I wish I knew about this forum before Thanks Again

Duckpoor

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the deck drive belt off , do a simple hand over hand trace of the belt path. Check Idlers and deck spindles. I am betting you will find one locked up. The deck drive belt via the engage / disengage rod or cable is an all tied together sort of arrangement. One element has an issue... the whole deal suffers.
Good Luck, Sent you an Msg with a request so as to not hijack your thread.

rgreen / duckpoor

gfp55

Threads
My Apology I think I posted this originally in the wrong place so I think Im in the right thread area now.

Hi ,

New to forum just happen to come across it while searching for solutions to my riding mower problem.
Okay I have a MTD Yard Machine 46 inch Deck (Model#13AN601H729). I was riding when all of a sudden I noticed Black smoke coming from under engine when Blades where engaged, I disengaged and parked machine the engine Pulley was super hot . I let it cool Started it up to check what was going on and the pulley was going really fast and still causing a bit of smoke so I shut it down. I tried to find answers online unsuccessfully . I removed the belt and it is still fine. I don't want to kill it. I started up without Belt attached no smoke but the Pulley was full speeed turning Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you. Oh I am pretty handy and have done my own repairs and upkeep of my mower by finding solutions online . I wish I knew about this forum before Thanks Again
I was just wondering if you were able to fix your Yard Man? If you did maybe you could share with the fix. Is it cutting good now?

WAC

Threads

upnorth

Threads
My 38 inch deck was making horrible noises last year. My mower has a fan mounted on top of the hydrostatic transmission and anytime the motion pully is engaged makes a nice whirring sound.
Last year the sound wasn't right, so I pulled a few hairpin cotters and dropped the deck and did an inspection.
the two spindles that drive the blades were very loose [side to side motion] so I ordered a pair. The mower blades were kinda shot so I used the mulching blades mtd was so kind to include with my original order.
everything fit perfect but I noticed there is no way to lube the spindles. the bearings are pressed into a hub with no means of oiling or greasing them. the bearings are sealed on both ends, so if the bearings go from just leaking of lubrication or the balls seize I'm out of luck.
It'll be back on the bench to bolt in new bearings with spindles.