Removing the front wheel assembly...

gmccammon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a flat on a front tire of a Hustler SuperZ. I couldn't get the bolt loose to get the wheel off so I thought I'd remove the entire wheel assembly.

I removed the bolt from the top of the assembly, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Does it have to be in a certain position to remove it? Any suggestions?

Greg

Jack17

Threads
The fork spindle assembly doesn't need to be in any particular position to come out of its coupler. They're many parts that make up what's inside of the fork coupler...two bearings, washers, O-rings and a spacer. I wouldn't recommend you pounding on it with a hammer to get it out. A puller of some sort would be the way to get it out. Honestly, I'd go back to the bolt that holds the wheel in the fork and try to remove it. It's a 3/4" bolt so as long as you don't mess up the thread I'd hit it good with a brass hammer or something of that nature.

P.S.
...and there are, of course, bearing push/pull pullers. If you happen to have one with two claws on it, you could get the two claws behind one side of the fork and pop that bolt right out of there!

Tomster

Threads
Do you mean you couldn't get the nut off the bolt or you got the nut off but the bolt wouldn't slide out? If you couldn't get the nut off then use a cheater on the nut and a back-up on the bolt!