Removing the e-ring on my Craftsman 917.378550

bluestring

Forum Newbie
I am trying to replace the dust cover off of my front wheels. One of them was cracked and now it has a big hole in it. While mowing grass would get stuck in between the wheel and the dust cover. In order for me to reach the dust cover, I need to get off the pinion and the e-ring. Currently, I am having trouble getting off the e-ring. I have tried prying it open with a screwdriver and it won't budge. It actually bent my screwdriver instead.

Attached are a couple of images of how it is attached. IMG_20130523_193242.jpg

Any help on how to get the pinion off?


Here is a link to the manual: 917.378550 Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower 5.5 HP Power Propelled 21 in. Multi-Cut
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130523_193300.jpg
    IMG_20130523_193300.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 6
Insert the screwdriver in the opening between the e-ring and the flat surface of the axle. A twist of the screwdriver should pop the ring off.
 
Is there anyway to loosen it? I have tried prying it off with my screwdriver and it would not budge. In fact, it actually chipped the end of one of the screwdrivers that I was using.
 
Is there anyway to loosen it? I have tried prying it off with my screwdriver and it would not budge. In fact, it actually chipped the end of one of the screwdrivers that I was using.

Have never had any trouble getting one off but if I did I would spray it with some bpblast then tap it I said tap not hit with a hammer.

Just get mad at it

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))
 
What is bpblast? It seems as though something is stuck and preventing this thing from popping out. It seems as though it should pop off easily, but that is not the case for me.
 
Ok, I got the ring off and now I am having trouble sliding off the pinion. It would slide all the way till the very end where it would then get stuck. It seems as though the end is a little deformed stopping it from sliding farther. I don't know if there is something else that I need to twist first remove in order for the pinion to get off.
 
Back
Top