Removing old Ford brake rotor

Autoeng

Forum Newbie
I have an old Ford LT 110 lawn mower like this one
4470.JPG


that I need to replace the brake pads on. I cannot get the brake disk (rotor) off the shaft to replace the inner pad. It is similar to this design
mtd-brake3.jpg


I have been spraying down the rotor with WD40 for a day but this is not budging. Perhaps this old Ford isn't quite the same brake design as I think it is so if anyone knows how to get the disk off to replace the inner pad I would appreciate some assistance.

Thanks
 
Spraying it down with WD40 has most likely displaced any water that could have been on it... but it will do Very Little for helping remove your fixture from the shaft.
You need a penetrating lubricant like PB Blaster.
Or at very least a lubricant, WD40 is a very poor lubricant:frown:.
The disk is either on a key or splines... KennyV
 
I'm not sure about that model or even what exactly you are talking about but try jaw-pullers, they work wonders! :tongue:
 
Pulling close to the hub is about the only way to pull it without bending it.

Drill 1/4 inch holes in the rotor as close to the hub as possible. Tap 5/16 NF. Drill 3/8 holes in bar stock with the same spacing as the holes in the rotor + - about a 1/16". Hold a socket, that's smaller than the shaft, between the bar stock and shaft end and tighten the cap screws. Lube the threads a little with Grandma's sewing machine oil. Put the oil back.:biggrin:

This will be the last attempt.
 

Attachments

  • brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    brake rotor 10-14-05.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 10
I don't think a jaw puller will bend such a small, thick piece of metal, and even if it does, you should probably replace it anyway because its probably deformed because it was stuck. I like SandBurRanch's idea it seems cheap and efficient, it's pretty much like removing flywheels :cool:
 
If you can get away with heating it, it's worth a try. I don't know what else is around there, so this advice should be used with caution.:eek:
 
Back
Top