Removing carbon deposits?

TradesmanGuy

Threads
Does anyone know of a solvent that will remove hard carbon deposits from the exhaust port and muffler inlet of a 2 stroke weedeater? I have tried using engine degreaser with only fair results. Thanks for any advice.

Duffer72

Threads
If the muffler is carboned up I take it off, and spray a bunch of carb cleaner in to it, then set it outside and with a bbq lighter I torch it off, after it quits burning and cools down you can tap it on a piece of 2 x 4 or lightly on concrete the carbon breaks up and you can shake it out of the muffle, also why you are at it take the spark arrester screen out and throw it as far as you can. as far as the exhaust port goes use a womens wooden or plastic cutical stick, the pointy end will break up the carbon and won't damage the piston or clyinder.

motorrefurb

Threads
I would say taking a grill brush with some degreaser would get rid of that :laughing:

TradesmanGuy

Threads
If the muffler is carboned up I take it off, and spray a bunch of carb cleaner in to it, then set it outside and with a bbq lighter I torch it off, after it quits burning and cools down you can tap it on a piece of 2 x 4 or lightly on concrete the carbon breaks up and you can shake it out of the muffle, also why you are at it take the spark arrester screen out and throw it as far as you can. as far as the exhaust port goes use a womens wooden or plastic cutical stick, the pointy end will break up the carbon and won't damage the piston or clyinder.

Disagree with you about removing the spark arrestor screen, it is there for a reason, and the majority of the carbon build up IS on the screen, but there it is easier to remove than it would be inside the muffler. As far as the exhaust port goes, I used a plastic panel removing tool to remove carbon build up there. Thanks to all for advice, I should have made it clear it wasn't the muffler carboned up, it was mainly on the screen.

Duffer72

Threads
That screen is there as a spark arrestor (required in CA) I always take them out as they can cause exhaust port and muffler to build up as if partially clogged they don't allow the exhaust to get out.

Mini Motors

Threads
A couple of comments. First, if you use Sea Foam as an additive, you will have less carbon buildup to begin with. I use it in all my small engines, from the 2 stroke weed whacker to my motorcycles. It is useful in anything either 2 stroke or air cooled. Carbon build up happens in the higher temperature air cooled engines.

And second, don't remove the spark arrestor. It is there for a reason. Many people have split boom units, so it's not just a weed whacker, it's a blower as well. And the last thing someone needs is a loose spark in a pile of leaves. I know the chance of a fire is low, but there's no reason to increase chances.

Mower manic

Threads
Take the weedeater to the highest point in you yard (ATV hill) and face north. Then hold the trimmer over your head with both hands and turn around 71/2 times. Now, while facing south, shout as loud as you can "DIPOSITUS EXITUS!" 10 times. The more times you say this, the better this works so don't be stingy with the shouting.
Then, without taking your hands from the mower go directly to bed and then to sleep, being careful not to release the trimmer while sleeping. Sleep for at least 6 hours, 5 of which must take place during the night.
Upon awakening, you will find the exhaust port looks like a polished mirror. If not, then you probably let loose during the night, so just try it again the next evening, shouting 20 times to be sure of a positive result. Some have found that ductaping the hands to the machine will prevent the release while sleeping....... your wife can help you with this.

Hope this helps.:wink: