Remove and clean Nikki carburetor on 21R7070039

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With regard to "where can I get the cheapest 'xyz'?" I try to buy the brand that made the machine. It usually turns out better.
As a self trained mechanic I have learned to pa attention on how things comes apart in order to re-assemble. When I use was a kid my self father would create all kinds of puzzles for me to work out. He even had rebuilding an Oldsmobile V8 head when I was only in the second grade. After which he checked my work and then installed the head. I do have the ability to disassemble, move things around, and assemble things in my head. Not all of us has this ability so taking pictures as you take things apart helps on reassembly.

In this case the service doesn't give step by step instructions for this removal.

Anyway take your time for at the first time around doing this job; meanwhile, I going out to tear down a 2014 Honda TRX500FE atv this morning. I havent done this model before so it probably take all day.to get the CV axles out for rebooting but first I got the replace a head on Sentar Kawasaki v twin engine.

Joed756

Threads
Easiest way to do it is to remove the blower housing.
Take the air filter off & the housing lifts strait up leaving the air horn in place
Take a photo
You then undo the nuts that hold the air horn , pull the breather tube off the back & slide it forward
Take a photo
Now pull the plug out of the solenoid , there is no catch it just pulls strait off, but do not pull on the wires, a pair of pointy nose pliers is good for this.
Take a photo
Next is the studs that hold the carb body onto the manifold.
Take a photo
You will need a deep socket or a very short spanner for this .
Take a photo
Pull the carb back a little then rotate it and the choke rod will slip out of the slot in the control panel.
Take a photo
You then flip the carb to unhook the throttle rod
Take a photo
Finally move the crab to the right so the spring that will end up spearing your finger no matter what you do out of the throttle late on top of the carb.
The manifold can stay on the engine unless you want to replace the O ring which usually only gives trouble on very old engines .
Instructions on cleaning the carb are at out door power info
This guy owns stock in Kodak.

Joed756

Threads
I have succesfully used a window fan laid on it's back across some scrap 2 x 4 s, put my can of carb cleaner, complete with carb right on top of the rig. Those cheap fans are never balanced and they will agitate the fluid very nicely. Works like a charm.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have succesfully used a window fan laid on it's back across some scrap 2 x 4 s, put my can of carb cleaner, complete with carb right on top of the rig. Those cheap fans are never balanced and they will agitate the fluid very nicely. Works like a charm.
So you are still using those hazardous chemicals I switched over to soap and water over 7 yrs ago and haven't looked back.

wnlewis

Threads
As a self trained mechanic I have learned to pa attention on how things comes apart in order to re-assemble. When I use was a kid my self father would create all kinds of puzzles for me to work out. He even had rebuilding an Oldsmobile V8 head when I was only in the second grade. After which he checked my work and then installed the head. I do have the ability to disassemble, move things around, and assemble things in my head. Not all of us has this ability so taking pictures as you take things apart helps on reassembly.

In this case the service doesn't give step by step instructions for this removal.

Anyway take your time for at the first time around doing this job; meanwhile, I going out to tear down a 2014 Honda TRX500FE atv this morning. I havent done this model before so it probably take all day.to get the CV axles out for rebooting but first I got the replace a head on Sentar Kawasaki v twin engine.
I do best with pictures and written instructions. So I will take the pictures and probably write instructions.

I don't have enough understanding yet to do the job without the "helps".

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have my old Kodak D2800 camera set up in the workshop over the top of the dissasembly bench.
It has a remote shutter release so with my dirty hands I can just push the button.
So the rule is photo of the whole tool
Photo of the part I just took off then photo of the toll again.
Thus when it comes to reassembly I have a photo manual

It is a really big PIA to try & tell some one where that mystery part they came across after finishing should have gone
Even worse as most point blank refuse to download the parts book so always use wrong names to confuse everyone even more .
Before I was doing this for a living it was easy because the bench was empty and I could lay the parts out in order on both sides over several feet but now it is not abnormal to be working on 20 tools at one time so that sort of space is a luxury I no longer have and when you grab a parts bin with a chain saw that has ben there for 5 months while you chased up impossible to find pats, one tends to forget exactly what order things go back together in .

wnlewis

Threads
Sounds like that would work, but might give a person a bath in the cleaning solvent.

wnlewis

Threads
So you are still using those hazardous chemicals I switched over to soap and water over 7 yrs ago and haven't looked back.
I like the solvents, but only where they can be contained in a tank, or have a hood with an activated charcoal filter to deal with the chemicals.

Detergent and water will work very well, especially if the part is put in an ultrasonic cleaner. The only requirement is to dry everything carefully and blow out all the passages.

wnlewis

Threads
I have my old Kodak D2800 camera set up in the workshop over the top of the dissasembly bench.
It has a remote shutter release so with my dirty hands I can just push the button.
So the rule is photo of the whole tool
Photo of the part I just took off then photo of the toll again.
Thus when it comes to reassembly I have a photo manual

It is a really big PIA to try & tell some one where that mystery part they came across after finishing should have gone
Even worse as most point blank refuse to download the parts book so always use wrong names to confuse everyone even more .
Before I was doing this for a living it was easy because the bench was empty and I could lay the parts out in order on both sides over several feet but now it is not abnormal to be working on 20 tools at one time so that sort of space is a luxury I no longer have and when you grab a parts bin with a chain saw that has ben there for 5 months while you chased up impossible to find pats, one tends to forget exactly what order things go back together in .
It is indeed good to have photos and notes.

Without those memory jogs, it often becomes difficult or impossible to put something back together correctly.