Reel mower scalping

Si.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Calling all reel mower addicts out there. I have an Atco Balmoral. Bermuda about 2". I am scalping on the non-drive side. Not continual but sporadic scalping and it is peeving me. I know my lawn is not perfectly flat but I have and am rolling it. The lawn looks pretty sharp for the neighborhood but I really want to rid these unsightly scalps. The Craftsman powered reel mower (McClane look-alike) seemed to do a better job so it got me wondering. Firstly, I will add that the mow height is level so no issues there. Does the extra traction of rubber driver rollers power the mower through the grass better? Maybe it is the split rear drum, driven on the right, scalp on left, that causes the mower to slip and scalp? Finally, is it the uneven lawn (better than most but not Crown-Green) that causes the mower to 'bobble', if so, why on one side?

My feeling is, it is all 3, split rear driven drum slipping on uneven surface! I have thought of top dressing and reducing the cut height. Any guru's out there can help? - Please ....? sniff-sniff

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

benski

Threads
This hasn't been exactly burning up the forum for responses yet. About all that comes to mind is making sure the roller adjustment, and all the rest are even and tight on your machine. You might even try swapping wheels from side to side, if possible.