Redesigned handlebar on Husqvarna 7021P push lawn mower

MowerMike

Threads
  • / Redesigned handlebar on Husqvarna 7021P push lawn mower
I recently visited the Husqvarna website, and noticed some changes in the design of the handlebar and wheel height adjusters. The handlebar grip and bail bar have been redesigned, and the padding is now on the bail bar instead of the handlebar grip, which should be more comfortable. Also, the new handlebar appears to have some height adjustability by relocating the upper section in different holes in the lower section. The wheel height adjusters have much larger grips to also make them more comfortable to use. The rest of the mower appears unchanged.

50540486.jpg Old model

33993e6e.jpg New model

okiepc

Threads
Someone really did some true thinking, making it better for the user. :laughing:

Tseg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this new 2013 design and can vouche that the grip with the padding on the safety bar feels excellent. Not sure if the wheel height adjustment was previously painful, but not bad at all now. One last difference is no crossbar half way up the handle. They provide 2 bolts to help secure at the base in addition to the cotter pins, else the handle can twist too much and easily pop out of its retention groove. With the nuts and bolts secure, the handle becomes pretty rigid.

detett1560

Threads
I recently visited the Husqvarna website, and noticed some changes in the design of the handlebar and wheel height adjusters. The handlebar grip and bail bar have been redesigned, and the padding is now on the bail bar instead of the handlebar grip, which should be more comfortable. Also, the new handlebar appears to have some height adjustability by relocating the upper section in different holes in the lower section. The wheel height adjusters have much larger grips to also make them more comfortable to use. The rest of the mower appears unchanged.

View attachment 13544 Old model

View attachment 13545 New model

Don't they make the Poulan Pro machines? I know those have B&S engines. You getting good service out of the Husq?

Tseg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't they make the Poulan Pro machines? I know those have B&S engines. You getting good service out of the Husq?

Yes, Husqvarna makes Poulan/Poulan Pro machines. In reading tons of reviews I have seen too many reviews of B&S and Kohler engines that end up having starting issues in the 1st year or two (or less) to take a chance with them (Kohler much worse than B&S). Not sure if the issues vary by specific engine model. Alternatively there are very few mower owners with Honda engines that complain of start-up woes. Maybe this is all due to there being very few Honda engines in market vs. the others. However, I have a 196cc Honda clone engine on my 4 season old snow blower and to this day (knock on wood) it starts with 1 pull in any temperature (I use synthetic oil).

I think the Husqvarna 5521P is the same basic mower design as the 7021P but with a smaller B&S engine. There are no complaints about the power of the 160cc Honda mower but some acknowledgement that the 140cc B&S on the 5521P can struggle in thick long grass... but the 5521P mower also gets very good reviews.

I'm just not familiar with the Poulan Pro options. So far, very happy with my 7021P. One thing I notice with the autochoke is that at startup is the rpms seem to fluctuate up and down and up and down for about 4-5 seconds before leveling out to a constant sound.

MowerMike

Threads
So far, very happy with my 7021P. One thing I notice with the autochoke is that at startup is the rpms seem to fluctuate up and down and up and down for about 4-5 seconds before leveling out to a constant sound.

That only happens while the choke is moving from the fully closed position to the fully open position. After that point, the engine runs smoothly at a constant RPM. Also, it is important the move the choke lever past the choke mark until it reaches a hard stop. Otherwise it won't be fully closed and will immediately start moving towards the open position before the safety bar is pulled back.

IMGP1499.jpg

MowerMike

Threads

The Husqvarna 7021P that I own uses the Honda GCV160 engine, which is the same motor used in the Honda HRR series mowers, except that the choke is semi-automatic. You set the choke in the closed position before cold starting it, and it automatically opens once the motor is started. The motor is almost always a one pull cold start and always a one pull warm start. I specifically chose this mower, because it had the Honda motor, rather than a B&S or Kohler.