Recoating cork floats...Polyurethane?

Phototone

Threads
I was wondering if anyone has re-sealed Lawnboy cork floats? I would assume polyurethane would be the product to use. Any advice?

unclelee

Threads
Seal all works real good....couple buck a tube at auto parts store.

I posted a pic of my re-sealed float in my thread RPM Lawnboy 8fh11lb. It is on the first page if ya want to see how it came out.
Lee

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would only add that adding a sealer coating will increase the float weight, so it will need to fill the fuel bowl more to float it.

May have to adjust the float height to compensate..(if you can, not sure about that float ? )..

jp1961

Threads
I think LawnBoy used epoxy. Trouble is, if the original seal is broken, whatever you use, it will have a hard time sticking to oily cork.

Jeff

Phototone

Threads
I think LawnBoy used epoxy. Trouble is, if the original seal is broken, whatever you use, it will have a hard time sticking to oily cork.

Jeff

Well, I'm going to have to figure out something, as the cork floats aren't being made any more.

jp1961

Threads
I wonder if you could fabricate one out of a piece of solid cork and a hole saw? Balsa wood may even work if you could seal it with epoxy.

Jeff

dewguy1999

Threads
Well, I'm going to have to figure out something, as the cork floats aren't being made any more.

I assume that you're referring to a float that's specific to your mower as I just checked for my 10247 with float #95-899 and it's available. Could you mod one of these or another that is available to work in your mower?

Kerry

Threads
As a member of the Antique Outboard Motor Club, many have posted that the best product is Model Airplane Fuel Proof Dope, used to protect paint from the Nitro fuels they use. Let the cork dry out and apply a few coats. Available at most hobby shops.

unclelee

Threads

No problems

LB8210

Threads
2 x Kerry's suggestion. Clean first using Dawn dish soap, then dry well. Then apply the dope and let dry. The dope will be lighter than the seal all.