Rebuilding a GX160 Engine

DownSouthJohnny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everybody
I'm new to the forums and am going to rebuild a GX160 engine.
I've done a lot of mechanics but never rebuilt one of these small engines. I'm looking at kits on eBay that are ranging in price from $59-$77.
Along with the crank, rod and piston, they include the seals and gaskets....Yeah I know, you get what you pay for but it looks like these kits are either real cheap or too expensive with nothing in between so I'd like to get your opinion on these aftermarket manufacturers (if they actually are the manufacturers)

There's Real Power, AE Power and numerous unbranded kits. Maybe some I'm missing.
Have you found one of these as better quality or have another suggestion?

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just my opinion, with many say isn’t worth the time it took you to read this far, I would never trust anything purchased on FleaBay or Altozon. Never used any of the sites you listed. Before ordering anything I recommend opening up the unit and take a close look at everything for wear. It would surprise me if you found a need for a crank or piston on a Honda engine.

DownSouthJohnny

Forum Newbie
Threads
The crank and rod journals are pretty scored.
I found most of the nylon cooling fins attached to the flywheel were broken off so probably overheated the engine, and it may have been run low on oil. It doesn't have a low oil shut-off.

Attachments

• 100_3087.jpg
    100_3087.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 11