Export thread

Rebuilding a 1978 5124

WhyZed

WhyZed

Rebuilding a 1979 5124

I thought I had a good deal on a preowned LB as the owner/salesman ('Dick faced' liar) stated that he had it for a decade and it worked perfect :thumbsup: Maintained regularly and he was sad to see it go:frown: He got a brand new big-wheeler with a bag and just wanted the little LB gone to make room.
I got it for $20.00 and I think I paid to much :wink:

Just home after a quick jont into the carwash :cool: I was so happy with myself.

P5160013.jpg
P5160014.jpg
P5160015.jpg

Then I start rippin into her and find all is not so Rosy.
There are some heavy pock-marks. One goes all the way through, 2 more are all most through. Paints blisterin on the shiny side of the deck!

P5180010 Pitted Deck.jpg

So I got a plan and put it into fruition.

P5180011 Fiberglass Cut.jpg

Glass done

P5180012 Fiberglass Done.jpg

2 coats of rubber truck-bed liner. - sorry Pics later :ashamed:

4 coats of green paint with wet sanding in between coats.
P5180013 Painted Deck.jpg

New (old :wink: cylinder) on top of totally disassembled and cleaned crank with new piston and rings.. Oh-Ya
Rebuilt motor with piston and rings. I cleaned 2-3 cups of grass trimmins out of the crankcase!! :shocked:
The reeds were suffed with grass = open! :shocked:
The carbon in the head, piston top, crank, cylinder, exhaust was stupid stupid stupid!! What do these 'people?' use for 2 stroke oil?
What do these 'people?' use for air filters? How do these people get work?

P5180021 - D409.jpg

The piston definitely had been seized and he broke it free to sell "not seized!! Mother F-er!!!
The rings were seized into the grooves, the piston pin seized into the piston and the cylinder scored bad!!!

P5180022 Painted Deck & Mounting Plate.jpg
P5180023 Painted Deck & Engine.jpg
P5180025 Painted Deck & Engine.jpg

Time for some snacks and a brew er two. I'll see if it fires up tomorrow if I can get back to it.
Ps - the carb was totally STUFFED with vanish and grass. It is the 'Utility' carb and I don't know how to take the main jet out?
Anyone know?

Thanks LB lovers - cheers... :thumbsup:

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

Sounds like you just bought a $20 dollar mower to me.

WhyZed

WhyZed

I got it for $20.00, he was asking $50 and coming across like he always maintained it well but didn't winterize it properly, and just wanted to upgrade to a big wheeled bagger to keep up with the neighbors..

He was dishonest about the mower, thus the *&*#X#% comments :tongue: It needed more then a "tune-up"

So now I got a $20.00 mower that I didn't really want to spend $100.00 on plus 4 days but it is what it is.
If I turned it over, would I get $120 plus my time for it? Had I known it was seized (had he been honest) and needed a new piston/rings/cylinder (luckily i had a spare cyl) I would not have bought it..

If I sell it, ill be in prefect working order, if not, I'll put it on the curb, free sign on it.

WhyZed

WhyZed

Oh, ya - the muffler is rusted out, a 5" long hole. I don't have a spare one of those but I'm lookin :shocked:.
I couldn't see the condition of the deck top or bottom because it was totally plugged and covered with moldy grass which I didn't want to touch with my hands, thus straight to the powerwash :confused2:

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

Always turn the blade, or pull on the rope a little when buying and old lawn boy. Very easy to put the wrong gas in one and then it's shot.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Even though the guy lied to you the mower was well worth $20. If it were me... I doubt that I would have done all that (time and $$$) to restore it. I probably would have made it a parts machine -- but my hat's off to you for fixing it. :thumbsup:

WhyZed

WhyZed

Always turn the blade, or pull on the rope a little when buying and old lawn boy. Very easy to put the wrong gas in one and then it's shot.
Ya, I did pull the cord. It felt nice like there was decent compression. He lived on a busy/noisy street, I couldn't hear metal on metal but it had definitely been seized and then freed. Next times I'll always take my compression tester. :cool:

WhyZed

WhyZed

Even though the guy lied to you the mower was well worth $20. If it were me... I doubt that I would have done all that (time and $$$) to restore it. I probably would have made it a parts machine -- but my hat's off to you for fixing it. :thumbsup:

Yes, my only problem with this purchase was that he lied to me.
I don't mind fixing one up for the team. My buddy had a cylinder in a box that fit & he gave it to me, otherwise I would not proceeded. So a piston, rings, 2 cans of paint, a can of carb cleaner and many joyful hrs tinkering. :wink:

Just need a steel wheel, my rings to come in, a couple missing screws and see if it runs :rolleyes:

I'm just getting started in this, so it's good experience, wouldn't do it again (with this model) :cool:.

WhyZed

WhyZed

I got it running last night and its running very good. Still need a muffler and have a line on one.
I'll get some pics up, I still need to make a stencil and paint the insignia.

impalass

impalass

I got it running last night and its running very good. Still need a muffler and have a line on one.
I'll get some pics up, I still need to make a stencil and paint the insignia.
What type of muffler do you need. Do you have a picture of the old muffler.

WhyZed

WhyZed

This is the muffler :cool:

P6020028+-+Muffler+01.jpg

P6020029+-+Muffler+02.jpg

P6020031+-+Muffler+03.jpg

This model of can doesn't have a pipe or single port for the exhaust gases to exit, instead there is a series of holes drilled around the perimeter of the bowl for gases to exit. The really big rusted hole is directly under the exhaust port of the engine so it exhausts pretty well straight out. That is not good for the economy, efficiency or noise. For best 2 stroke engine power & efficiency there must be a certain amount of back-pressure there, that is why high performance 2 strokes have combustion chambers close to the engine.
I don't know if this is the stock exhaust as there were a lot of things wrong with this example.

I'm going to take my 'F's' muffler off & see if it will fit, I'm confident it will.

impalass

impalass

This is the muffler :cool:

View attachment 14714

View attachment 14715

View attachment 14716

This model of can doesn't have a pipe or single port for the exhaust gases to exit, instead there is a series of holes drilled around the perimeter of the bowl for gases to exit. The really big rusted hole is directly under the exhaust port of the engine so it exhausts pretty well straight out. That is not good for the economy, efficiency or noise. For best 2 stroke engine power & efficiency there must be a certain amount of back-pressure there, that is why high performance 2 strokes have combustion chambers close to the engine.
I don't know if this is the stock exhaust as there were a lot of things wrong with this example.

I'm going to take my 'F's' muffler off & see if it will fit, I'm confident it will.

F muffler will not fit. Second thought it should fit but i don't need the muffler that i took off the 5124.

Attachments

WhyZed

WhyZed

You are correct Sir, the F and D mufflers are indeed very different..

F on left D on right

P6020031+-+Muffler+D+%u00252526+F+01.jpg

P6020002+-+Muffler+D+%u00252526+F+0.jpg

F inside D

P6020003+-+Muffler+D+%u00252526+F.jpg

impalass

impalass

You are correct Sir, the F and D mufflers are indeed very different..

F on left D on right

View attachment 14719

View attachment 14720

F inside D

View attachment 14721
If you want my muffler let me know.

WhyZed

WhyZed

If you want my muffler let me know.

What do you have in mind?

I am not like our good friend 'franchi' (who'd drive 300kms one way) for a fully equipped LB! :drink:
I can't drive 300 miles one away for an old rusty muffler? :confused2: :laughing:

I took mine muffler to a welder, who said, "there is not enough material left anywhere to weld anything to :frown: so yes I am indeed in need. :wink:

impalass

impalass

What do you have in mind?

I am not like our good friend 'franchi' (who'd drive 300kms one way) for a fully equipped LB! :drink:
I can't drive 300 miles one away for an old rusty muffler? :confused2: :laughing:

I took mine muffler to a welder, who said, "there is not enough material left anywhere to weld anything to :frown: so yes I am indeed in need. :wink:
I can mail it to you.

WhyZed

WhyZed

Well that would be just swell :drink:
I'll PM.

impalass

impalass

What type of muffler do you need. Do you have a picture of the old muffler.
Link to engine manual so can read and find out about the carb.

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

Lawn-Boy Service Manual 1950-88 Complete

impalass

impalass

F muffler will not fit. Second thought it should fit but i don't need the muffler that i took off the 5124.[/QUOTE
Carb from my 5124

Attachments

WhyZed

WhyZed

F muffler will not fit. Second thought it should fit but i don't need the muffler that i took off the 5124.[/QUOTE
Carb from my 5124

Hey impalass,

I just checked Can-Post. It is going to cost $38.15 to ship a box 12"x12"X10" tall weighing 2kg, COD..
Fedex, $11.06 -> $48 depending on the service, no COD offered without an account so I'd need to get one set up.

I'm going to pickup some stuff an hr down the road. One Buddy has a couple used mufflers there. I'll take my old one & see if he has one compatible.
Don't discard your exhaust just yet. If we do this, I do need some bolts, 2 muffler bolts, 2 deck plate bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the cowling on.

Not sure I need the carb, mine is not to bad. You don't want or need yours?

Maybe franchi could stop in and pick it up on his next mower purchase, chances are pretty good he'll be driving right by! :eek: :laughing:

impalass

impalass

Hey impalass,

I just checked Can-Post. It is going to cost $38.15 to ship a box 12"x12"X10" tall weighing 2kg, COD..
Fedex, $11.06 -> $48 depending on the service, no COD offered without an account so I'd need to get one set up.

I'm going to pickup some stuff an hr down the road. One Buddy has a couple used mufflers there. I'll take my old one & see if he has one compatible.
Don't discard your exhaust just yet. If we do this, I do need some bolts, 2 muffler bolts, 2 deck plate bolts and the 4 bolts that hold the cowling on.

Maybe franchi could stop in and pick it up on his next mower purchase, chances are pretty good he'll be driving right by! :eek: :laughing:
If you select the regular mail it around 15$ depending on the weight.

Rate Summary
Base Price $12.68
Coverage* $Update $0.00
Fuel Surcharge $1.36
Options $0.00
Tax $1.83
Total $15.87

*Coverage Details: Up to $100.00 included. Maximum $5,000.00 @ $1.95 per $100.00.
That is for a box 10x8x8 3KG
When you tell me exactly what bolts you need i will put every thing together and weight it and tell you what the rate is and you can double check it.

I select the wrong one this is the regular parcel
Regular ParcelTM 4 business days
$11.91
Prepaid
Options
Collection on Delivery $7.25
Mailing Tube $1.50
Delivery Confirmation Incl.
Signature Option $1.50
Unpackaged $10.00
Rate Summary
Base Price $10.72
Coverage* $Update $0.00
Fuel Surcharge $0.62
Options $0.00
Tax $0.57
Total $11.91
J6R 2G5 N3C 1L2 10.00 in. 8.00 in. 8.00 in. 3.000 kg

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Hey impalass,

Maybe franchi could stop in and pick it up on his next mower purchase, chances are pretty good he'll be driving right by!
:eek: :laughing:

Pennsylvania to Ontario and back. :laughing:

Swing by Georgia too. :cool2:

impalass

impalass

These are the parts i can send to you. Let me know which bolts you want also i will send the carb.

Attachments

WhyZed

WhyZed

Thanks impalass, those are exactly what I need.

The first link - I was going to mold jbweld up a repair.

The second link - I can't find the darn washer that grounds the coil to kill the engine. I have the other parts but lost the washer. :ashamed:

$(KGrHqR,!r!FG7sBeN1HBRw8ncbIyw~~60_1.JPG

impalass

impalass

Thanks impalass, those are exactly what I need.

The first link - I was going to mold jbweld up a repair.

The second link - I can't find the darn washer that grounds the coil to kill the engine. I have the other parts but lost the washer. :ashamed:

View attachment 15164

You only need those 3 parts.

WhyZed

WhyZed

You only need those 3 parts.

No, I have the spring & the plunger, I lost the darn metal washer thing.

impalass

impalass

No, I have the spring & the plunger, I lost the darn metal washer thing.
The part number is 604249 blade. 2 on ebay.

604249 Toro Lawnboy Blade S | eBay

If you decide to buy it ask for USPS First Class Mail International which is cheaper.
It might be around 6 dollars.