Rear Engine Transmission Problem, 30" blade

FlaCliff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower just stopped suddenly while mowing and stalled, could not restart as it would not go in neutral. I shifted to neutral, but mower would not move.

Put mower on end and drive disk is in neutral position and spins freely. Turns both wheels forward when spun manually, but will not go in revers direction. Checked chain on differential side and all appears good.

Everything spins freely on when standing on end, but when four wheels on ground will not roll without a lot of effort and drag. Feels like something is hung up, but can't find anything.

Before I tear this down I wanted to get any experienced opinions on this problem.

Thanks

FlaCliff

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, being that I would need to order parts on Monday, I decided to tear this thing apart.

I found the exploded parts view on-line.

Could not find anything wrong, except it was low on lubricant and it felt two tight when turning for being in a free wheel position. Put some lubricant directly on the chains and spun by hand, it seemed to be spinning easier.

Decided to fill it up with lube I had in the shop and let it sit for a while. Came back and it would move with four wheels down, something was bound up due to low lubricant or it unbound when I took it apart to check.

Anyway, i need to buy the plastic piece that the end of the brake cable goes into as it got snapped off when I had to tow it back to the garage with the rear wheels in the air. Thank God for my John Deere gator.

Ran it down the road about a 1/4 mile and back just to run the lube around and it seemed fine.

Cliff