Re: Small engine repair business

steveuppstrom

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hello, I am new to this site. I have been in the small engine repair business for almost a year. Times are slow, had a decent first summer. I am Briggs certified. I advertise locally, and hand out cards when i can. Im asking for pointers on how to build my business. Thanks.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads

Keep advertising. You can never do not enough advertising. Craigslist, Facebook, newspaper, expo shows at the mall, etc.

I advertise on Craigslist, facebook, and fixr.com

metz12

Threads

Putting a magnet on your truck with your business name? maybe go to a small hardware store that sells mowers, trimmers, blowers etc. and see if you could advertise out in the front. or if someone were to ask for a small engine mechanic they might refer to you. and also, word of mouth is the best. if you get something that is easy and cheap to do like say, sharpening the blades on a mower, do it for free one time or dirt cheap then people will talk. just different thoughts.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads

Putting a magnet on your truck with your business name? maybe go to a small hardware store that sells mowers, trimmers, blowers etc. and see if you could advertise out in the front. or if someone were to ask for a small engine mechanic they might refer to you. and also, word of mouth is the best. if you get something that is easy and cheap to do like say, sharpening the blades on a mower, do it for free one time or dirt cheap then people will talk. just different thoughts.

Im actually gonna do free mower blade sharpening for loose blades in the spring. I'll probably on a Saturday and/or Sunday. Limit is 3 blades. Im getting 2 12x24 magnets for $50 for my truck here soon.

metz12

Threads

that would be sweet. you'll gets some business then!

MRCo.

Threads

Best advertising is free: word of mouth. Do good work, be personable and price fairly and you will be good. You're only a year in, it takes time.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads

My biggest struggle is knowing what parts to stock besides spark plugs.

MRCo.

Threads

My biggest struggle is knowing what parts to stock besides spark plugs.
Well, most companies have a top 50 selling parts list so you can go by that for a start, but I've found over time I get an idea if how many of what types of machine seem to be out there and then what seems to fail often by what comes through my door. I buy pr-eemptively accordingly. Truth is you can't have all the parts on the shelf without silly money tied up, and you have to accept that you'll buy some parts that will gather dust a while until you use them.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I have seen small engine repairs shops come and go. They for some reason never make a go of it. The shops that do seen to keep going are the ones that add sales with the business. I think the problem is everyone thinks they can fix there own and don't want to send any money on repairs. They will buy a new mower before they will spend anything on the larger repairs. I see it here on this forum all the time everyone is a full pledge small engine mechanic but don't know what they are doing and all repairs are the same. I hope you the best of luck with this.

steveuppstrom

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hello, I am new to this site. I have been in the small engine repair business for almost a year. Times are slow, had a decent first summer. I am Briggs certified. I advertise locally, and hand out cards when i can. Im asking for pointers on how to build my business. Thanks.

Thanks for the pointers. I have put my business on craigslist, and my website had 7 hits. Will be getting magnets soon. Thanks so much!!!