Raptor SD leaving too many clippings behind

MRCo.

Threads
You've said you have a fast grow grass and create a large volume of clippings. You need to double cut, dropping dck height on the second pass. RSDs have 18,000fpm speed, they have plenty of cutting power. Also, try slowing down, let the grass have more time to be chopped before more incoming volume pushes it out.

katit

Threads
Dealer brought my mower after repair (see my other topic). They "tested" it in a tall grass. I made a cut in 10+ days tall grass (too tall) and deck had bunch of build up and left _some_ clippings. I scraped almost 5 gallon bucket from a deck.. I was really worrying thinking it was MY clippings on a deck.

Next time I cut little slower, grass was normal and... NO CLIPPINGS at all. Bright yellow, maybe little grinnish stuf around spindles. So, my verdict - it wasn't me but dealer with super tall muddy grass. I installed mulch kit now and cut grass another time - no clippings and no build-up.

I really can't think how much and how fast one need to cut in order to get build up..

katit

Threads
Guess I have to expect this but.. Today I decided to mow in a morning. Our city rules is not to mow after 6pm, so I decided to do it before work. I never mowed in wet before. Not with my old tractor, not with new Raptor SD 54.

Today I did just to see because I was so impressed with how it performed on dry.
Well... Wet grass with mulch kit is NOT something that mows cleanly. Cut look great but clumps were falling from under the dack all over the place. And I went slow.

I guess I will have to try and mow in opposite direction tomorrow night.

mooch91

Threads
OP here...

I've been trying some of the suggestions and not having much luck. I may just be expecting too much from side discharge and a very fast growing lawn. I've tried slowing down (almost to a crawl on the cut, which makes an acre take a looong time), mowing more frequently, even lifting the chute, all without much change. I'm at 3.25" cutting height, I cut dry, there is absolutely no build-up under the deck, chute is not clogged, blades are sharp (original blades).

I've attached some pictures. First a look at the clippings, second one a look at what I'm cutting.
PhotoSep0473256PM_zps05883e70.jpg

PhotoSep0473259PM_zpse1a731a3.jpg

This is a cut after 4 days; I'll cut again in 3. There's just no way I can cut any more frequently than that. Need to find a way to slow the grass down and still have it look green.

I can't believe it's the equipment, but I see the pros cut similar lots in my neck of the woods (with Exmark Laser Zs mostly) and they don't leave this behind. And they don't look like they're double cutting.

Rail5042

Threads
I put gator blades on mine and it made a difference with the build up. Still have to double cut the real thick areas just to blow clippings around. Was talking to a buddy that cuts for a living and he said they run high lifts on outside and a gator in middle. Do not know if it would work but it is an interesting idea. Not sure if it would void warrenty if you burn up a spindle either. Running two different blades.

gannon311

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interested in the answer to the warranty question. I wouldn't think they could tell what blades you run. Where is the best place to get blades? My local dealer wants $20 for reg. blades and $29 for gator blades.

Rail5042

Threads
I believe you have get the parts from dealer. Maybe able to cross ref parts number and order on line. Did not save paper work but the blades I got were made by Oregon. Think they were around $24 a blade. Dealer made me a better deal because I was his first customer to try them on the raptor SD. Cut me a deal for some feed back.

mooch91

Threads
I've noticed most of the pros don't use discharge chutes, they just have an open side plate.

Would there be any benefit to this for dispersing the clippings?

I know the raptor deck is open at the top near the chute, but I was thinking if there might be some benefit to trimming the discharge chute back closer to the deck?

Thoughts?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've noticed most of the pros don't use discharge chutes, they just have an open side plate. Would there be any benefit to this for dispersing the clippings? I know the raptor deck is open at the top near the chute, but I was thinking if there might be some benefit to trimming the discharge chute back closer to the deck? Thoughts?

Tie the chute up and give it a try.

I never take my chutes off I just tie them up.
Helps spread the clippings out and not in the way when getting on the trailer.

mooch91

Threads
The raptor as has an opening at the top of the deck under the chute. Doesn't lend itself to just tie the chute up.