Raptor SD cut quality - any recommendations?

mooch91

Threads
I do have a replacement discharge chute on order since I cut mine. I may go back to using the unmodified one again, and probably need to restore it anyway if I trade the machine in.

Since I already cut the old one, I wanted to experiment creating an "operator controlled discharge chute" - a blockoff plate to prevent discharging in to my flower beds. I have a fairly narrow swatch (about 8 feet) between my two primary planting beds that gets filled with grass. I just mulched it two weeks ago with some dark brown mulch and it looks gray already from the yellowed grass clippings that have blown in when I mulched.

Works OK, not great. I have to manually flip it down when I'm passing through the flower bed area, and then I manually lift it when I'm done. Although it's a fairly heavy steel plate, it does lift from the discharge and will still blow out some clippings. I'm thinking of drilling some holes in it to allow the air out, but keep the grass in.

IMG_1376_zpshti0g0br.jpg

IMG_1375_zpsal4jvdif.jpg

IMG_1374_zpsea5nqcle.jpg

IMG_1370_zpsbcffivxr.jpg

turboawd

Threads
those clumps in the mulch blew out the left side of deck?

mooch91

Threads
No, probably from the right side of the deck when I passed along the opposite edge of the bed.

kraky

Threads
Fwiw...years ago I played w/the discharge chute on a mower I had. I tried no chute, lifting the chute slightly, and cutting the chute so there wasn't alot of overhang beyond the deck. In my "experiment" I found that particular deck liked the chute as from the factory but lifted just a bit..Accomplished by gluing an easily removable wood block on top of the deck. It was my "theory" that best performance came from having just a little back pressure created by the chute. Think of having your thumb on the garden hose as water comes out...just a little pressure to make it fan out. The "no chute" idea seems good and you see a ton of people doing it.....but its a great strategy for getting wet grass all over yourself, your mower, on top of the deck...and on your engine. Really a bad idea w/wet grass and a windy day...lol!

Kremeneon

Threads
Fwiw...years ago I played w/the discharge chute on a mower I had. I tried no chute, lifting the chute slightly, and cutting the chute so there wasn't alot of overhang beyond the deck. In my "experiment" I found that particular deck liked the chute as from the factory but lifted just a bit..Accomplished by gluing an easily removable wood block on top of the deck.

This is how I run my RSD54 with the Gator blades. lifted via bungee cord about 20 degrees or so (maybe 4" at the end) I drop it fully to blow off sidewalks and stuff or lift a little more if away from the house and I really need it to disperse clippings as much as possible.

Last edited:

KrashnKraka

Threads
This is how I run my RSD54 with the Gator blades. lifted via bungee cord about 20 degrees or so (maybe 4" a the the end) I drop it fully to blow off sidewalks and stuff or lift a little more if away from the house and I really need it to disperse clippings as much as possible.

With my 'mod' I can opt out to dump in a very neat 300mm (1') wide
windrow, no spillage. It's conditional in that grass over 200mm (8")
has to be mowed twice, but the idea works well.
After reading this thread I am thinking a smart man would patent(?)
the concept :)

KK

kraky

Threads
There are a bunch of people making chutes like this.....here's one...

The Qwikchute Advantage

For me up here in wisconsin we have fall leaf grinding where it would also be nice.....blow the leaves to a remote area of the lawn and drop the chute for a final "grind". Then again hoping w/23 HP on tap and gator blades a few "go overs" might have them pretty much disappear. I still have my jd l tractor w/bagger too. That thing is like a giant vacume cleaner but its a dusty adventure and requires tailoring waste to the city composite pile.....2 days after an immaculant clean up the neighbors leaves all come to visit....happens every year...lol!

Grass Whisper

Threads
New to this forum, recently purchased Raptor SD 54 (1.5hours so far on mower). Must say not completely happy with the mulch cut.

Background: I have Empire Zoysia, and like to keep it at a 1/2 inch. I have only ever mulched with this mower and have the Mulching kit installed by the dealer. I too have clumping issues. I have read all the comments up to this point.

Normally cut the yard with Toro Super Recycler and it mulches super and leaves a great finish. Went into the Hustler with the expectation that the cut would be comparable to the Toro pusher. So, now I have a mower that others and I have less than optimal mulching or cutting.
Wish I new this prior to my purchase.

However, I don't think all is lost...

Looked under the deck and I do indeed have the full mulching kit installed. Wave blades with baffles, and the metal guards. But the blades are dull. (Zoysia has a high silica content in the grass blade and will dull the crap out of any blade in a hurry). So first step is to have sharp blades. Next, don't let the grass get too high prior to cutting. And don't cut the grass if its at all wet.

So far I am going to give 2 days of growth and give it a whirl.

Kremeneon

Threads
But the blades are dull. (Zoysia has a high silica content in the grass blade and will dull the crap out of any blade in a hurry).

The Oregon Gator G5 Blades have a bit of carbide at the cutting edge (I think they sputter it on the underside of the blade) and go much longer between sharpening.

They are marketed as a mulching blade also.

I quite like them.

Grass Whisper

Threads
"Oregon Gator G5 Blades have a bit of carbide at the cutting edge"

Think that is a great idea for keeping blades sharp. I have also knocked around a "Cryo-treated blade" to help keep blade sharp.

I wish that companies would do R/D to determine what works and what needs refining. After all $4000.00 did not fall out of the sky for this mower purchase.