Raising RPMs

jakesmurray

Well-Known Member
I just got a new carb for my mower and had it adjusted by a guy down the street, but it seems as if the run rpms are a little low. When you engage the blades, the engine almost dies, but then spits smoke and fires up again. It is a little slower than it used to be because the rpms aren't as high as they used to be. How do I adjust the run rpm speed? It runs and idles great, it just needs a little more power on the high end. The mower is a Murray 40" rider with a Briggs 12.5 Horse I/C Quiet engine. The Walbro carb has two screws, with a non-adjustable main jet. Thanks
 
Are you sure you got all the linkage back in the right place. Also you might have to readjust the governor.

Yes they are all in the right place. To adjust the governor, don't you just loosen it then turn it all the way back, while the piston is all the way forward?
 
To adjust a governor you need a tachometer, this is something you can't guess at. If you don't have one just try to keep everything like it was and the less you do with the governor the better. I find a governor adjustments can be very touchy and best left alone if possible.
 
To adjust a governor you need a tachometer, this is something you can't guess at. If you don't have one just try to keep everything like it was and the less you do with the governor the better. I find a governor adjustments can be very touchy and best left alone if possible.

Oh, ok, I won't mess with it then. Thanks
 
Back
Top