Quick SP Question...

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I've never owned a Self Propelled mower before, so this is why I need to ask this question as I've just bought one.

I know the wheels are propelled via a belt, which wears out, as all belts do. But my question is:

How many years/hours use can I get out of the belt before it needs changed ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The drive belt should last years, a lot of years on a light mower...

I have an old High wheel 21 or 22 inch SP from back in the mid 1970... (still has the factory original drive belt).. It was used heavily in its first 10 years of life, then only 10 to 20 hrs per year... the last 10 years it may have 2 or 3 yrs per year... But I still try to find some reason to run it...

Drive belts, depending on how well they are protected from dirt and other abrasives, will last a long time...
They don't really have much load on them... :smile:KennyV

LandN

Threads
if you feel a comfort level of having a spare belt and the price is right, then maybe get one to have one. sometimes oe parts(on anything) are not as good quality as aftermarket.(and vise versa).

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Well that's a relief anyway, I thought it was going to be a yearly thing or something!

It's a bit like a timing belt on a car, it could snap after only a few years of use, or still be going strong after 20+ years of use (of course that is not recommended!).

And also, if it slips or snaps, it isn't a massive issue, as you can still use the mower, just have to push it!