Questions on changing fluids on my ZD Mower

sjm1580

Threads
I have a zd221 and am ready to changing fluids for my 50 hour service. I see in the kubota manual there is an HST filter and where to drain the fluid but on Messicks site they talk about also needing to drain and change the transmission filter as well. This is not mentioned in the Kubota manual.

My questions are:

1) Do I change the transmission filter (after I find it)?
2) If I do change the transmission filter is it the same filter type as the HST filter?
3) When I fill the fluid in the HST fill area, does this fill the transmission as well? The manual says is takes 7.5 quarts +/- .
4) Is there a good reference showing drains, filters, etc. for the fluid changes?

My final (sarcastic) question is, why isn't the Kubota manual clear on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a zd221 and am ready to changing fluids for my 50 hour service. I see in the kubota manual there is an HST filter and where to drain the fluid but on Messicks site they talk about also needing to drain and change the transmission filter as well. This is not mentioned in the Kubota manual.

My questions are:

1) Do I change the transmission filter (after I find it)?
2) If I do change the transmission filter is it the same filter type as the HST filter?
3) When I fill the fluid in the HST fill area, does this fill the transmission as well? The manual says is takes 7.5 quarts +/- .
4) Is there a good reference showing drains, filters, etc. for the fluid changes?

My final (sarcastic) question is, why isn't the Kubota manual clear on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

50 hours is pretty early for the initial tranny service....are you sure the Kubota Manual states 50 hours on the transaxle???? Most are at 75 hours and then every 400 hours. Below is a link to the details of that service on the Gravely Support website:

Hydro/Transmission Oil Change Procedure

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, 50 hours and then 400.

Well I guess that the link I provided wasn't much help either since it is for HydroGear transmissions and the Kubota's don't use the HydroGear trannies. Wish I could be more help. Maybe an experienced ZD200 series owner will chime in and help you out.

sjm1580

Threads
Well I guess that the link I provided wasn't much help either since it is for HydroGear transmissions and the Kubota's don't use the HydroGear trannies. Wish I could be more help. Maybe an experienced ZD200 series owner will chime in and help you out.

Thanks for the help anyway...

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
On your transmission you change the filter at 50 hours. You change the fluid at 400 hours and the transmission filter again as well. The chart in the book on my 300 series and the one on my 200 series are pretty clear. Raise the seat and it is right there in front of you. The 300 series mowers have an additional filter down on the back of the transmission that is a little bigger and not real easy to get off.

I highly reccomend you get the filters you are going to change. At 50 hours it will be the oil and the transmission and run by the parts house and get the correct filter wrenches to fit. The ones that slide over the end and are turned with a 3/8 ratchet are the best we have found.

sjm1580

Threads
On your transmission you change the filter at 50 hours. You change the fluid at 400 hours and the transmission filter again as well. The chart in the book on my 300 series and the one on my 200 series are pretty clear. Raise the seat and it is right there in front of you. The 300 series mowers have an additional filter down on the back of the transmission that is a little bigger and not real easy to get off.

I highly reccomend you get the filters you are going to change. At 50 hours it will be the oil and the transmission and run by the parts house and get the correct filter wrenches to fit. The ones that slide over the end and are turned with a 3/8 ratchet are the best we have found.

Thanks for you help (again).

Steve