Questions - Kawasaki FR691V

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Please provide documentation as to where Kawasaki signed off on using Amsoil.

Amsoil looks at the specs each manufacturer publishes that they recommend for their vehicles and Amsoil meets or exceeds the manufacturer's recommendations

Everyone knows that each manufacturer sells their own parts to make extra money and for that reason they only recommend their parts. This is true for ALL manufacturers, but they cannot void warranties under law if one uses parts that meet or exceed OEM specs. disagree.gif

Amsoli has been heavily involved in racing (extreme duty beyond what a work engine would need) for years and has the experience and know how to manufacture better oil that whoever Kawasaki uses to make their oil which is going to be on the cheap side since the only reason they sell oil is to con people in to believing their oil is what is required when it's not..

If your manual shows an 8 hr oil change

I'll follow what the manual says for the first oil change on a brand new engine.

The electronic keypad even shows the first oil change is due in 8 hours so this is what Kawasaki requires.

You have the right and the choice to believe what you want on the quality or lack there of on aftermarket parts opposed to OEM.

The parts I'll be using are superior to OEM, so you can relax man... I'll get long life out of this engine as do all my engines on all my vehicles. agree.gif

And from very indicated Owner manual you send the OP to download.

That first graph is for some other engine that has 20.5 HP...

My engine has 23 HP

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That first graph is for some other engine that has 20.5 HP...

My engine has 23 HP
Argue if you wish but that is what is in the owners manual and it doesn't specify if FR651V, FR 691V or FR730V just indicates that oil chart for all three engines.
1709756642766.png

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
Argue if you wish but that is what is in the owners manual and it doesn't specify if FR651V, FR 691V or FR730V just indicates that oil chart for all three engines.

I'll follow what the manual says for the first oil change on a brand new engine.

The electronic keypad even shows the first oil change is due in 8 hours so this is what Kawasaki requires.

I think your manual is speaking in general, after the new engine is broken in initially

txmowman

Threads

I think your manual is speaking in general, after the new engine is broken in initially
Can’t believe I am replying to this junk. The Kawasaki engine manual states 100 hours for the first oil change. Kawasaki does not build the mower. If the mower manufacturer says to change the oil daily, that does not mean that recommends it be changed daily. I attend Kawasaki factory training, I know what Kawasaki recommends. You come off like you are the expert so why are you asking this forum for opinions?

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
The Kawasaki engine manual states 100 hours for the first oil change

The Spartan dealer I bought this mower from told me the first oil change must be done at 8 hours or the warranty on the engine is void.... the key paid was programmed by Spartan to show that first oil change is due in 8 hours.

Apparently, Spartan got their information from Kawasaki and it's a requirement for Kawasaki to provide warranty coverage to Spartan who in turn extended that covers to their customers. You're not privy to the business dealings between Kawasaki and Spartan

Don't know what to tell you other than...since this is my mower I'm going to change
the oil for the first time in 8 hours even if this causes you to be very very upset with me.agree.gif

You come off like you are the expert so why are you asking this forum for opinions?

Pretty sure you are the only on here claiming to be an expert. laughing3.gif

I can help you out though... it's my mower so it's not your problem one way or the other.

Changing the oil at 8 hours is not going to cause the engine to blow, so you can relax... or not thumbsup2.gif

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I wish they actually put that in the 2024 owners manual for your mower but it even has the first oil change at 25 hrs. But it wouldn't hurt anything to it at 8 hrs. We do that on engine rebuilds anyways to flush out any left over machine grit. Maybe Kawasaki is no longer flushing the engine that they build.

txmowman

Threads
@Jimmy the Lock, (you identify as a lock?) You can change your oil every 5 minutes for all I care. Maybe all the confusion is due to you stating the mowers owners manual and I stating the engine owners manual.

@StarTech, according to Kawasaki tech training, the engine components are washed prior to assembly so they do not need the “break in” oil change.

Jimmy the Lock

Threads
engine components are washed prior to assembly so they do not need the “break in” oil change.

Any engine builder will tell you... there is a break in period and changing the oil early
after some break in time is a legitimate thing that engine builders do all the time.

The dealer told me in order for the engine warranty to remain in tact, Kawasaki requires
the first oil change to take place at 8 hours.... and the electronic keypad shows right now
that oil change is due at 8 hours.

We do that on engine rebuilds anyways to flush out any left over machine grit.

Exactly. Even if Kawasaki has some special process they claim does away with the need for an early oil change, it's a very good idea to do this anyway to be on the safe side. I worked in a truck repair shop back in the day and we always did an early oil change after rebuilding an engine and running it for a while.

It's not like it's going to hurt anything so I fail to see what the argument against it is all about.

Besides, I got my stimulus check so I can afford to change the oil! cool1.gif

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here in deep South my Scag Dealer (after Kawasaki update) said to use only 20w-50.
So I do. & my former 2014 Kawasaki manual DID list an early 8 hour oil change.

Now my 2021 Kawasaki manual does not. But I did it anyhow. My thing is building Harley engines. So I know it's best to do early oil change, at least for my peace of mind.