Question about two stroke oil

Hidalgo

Threads
Hey, you rode a CZ? I had two of them, a twin-pipe 250, then a '69 250. Rode 250 Junior in Southern Ontario and a couple of times in NH, VT and MA. I won the Ontario Junior Championship and came 2nd in the Canadian Junior Championship in 1966.

A CZ? The only CZs that I ever saw were running behind my OSSA Plunker ....... :wink: :laughing:

oldyellr

Threads
A CZ? The only CZs that I ever saw were running behind my OSSA Plunker ....... :wink: :laughing:
Hey, I still have a 1971 250 Ossa Enduro in the shed. Ossas were okay, but not the World Championship calibre of CZs. While on the subject, I also had a Bultaco Sherpa 'T' trials bike. Lots of 2-stroke experience.

Retired Lucky

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have thought about that and has brought up at my engine update meetings but lets look at it in another way. Doubling the mix ratio say from 50:1 to 25:1 only makes a 2 % change in the amount of gas being consumed. If 2 % is enough to cause an engine to run lean and overhead I would think you already have a problem with the engine.
This is my entry onto this forum, so here goes. I've been a LB user since mid 90's My first one was a basic lightweight deck model (no self propelled) and it ran for 23 years in Rochester, NY without a problem. Two years ago I started it and it made a horrible noise that suggested the internals had broken. Haven't opened it up as my wife had just bought me a new self propelled Snapper with electric start at Walmart I think. Next LB was a 2005 self propelled 10323 I bought for my house in Dallas. Much smaller lawn, and not as maneuverable as the old model. I've had starting problems with it and brought it to a local repair store and that helped. Now my questions: I've always used the 32:1 gas to oil mixture (2 gallons of premium gas to 8 oz. of 2 cycle oil and occasional additions of the white Sea Foam as an additive. I remember that a local small engine store said that 40:1 or even 50:1 ratio would work with not as much smoking. My 10323 does smoke when it starts up and it goes away after five minutes of use, but I considered that normal. I've googled 40:1 ratios and most replies say it works if one uses a high quality oil and results in less smoking, One thing I've read is that in "older" self propelled LB's, the drive mechanism needs the 30:1 ratio for maintaining lubrication. Does this apply to my 10323?
Another question: I saw a 1.8 fl. oz. tube of US-2 2 cycle lubricant ("smokeless E-GD++") at a Walmart stating "one mix for ALL 2-cycle engines". Directions - "mix with one gallon of gas & agitate thoroughly" I googled the product and found one user praising it on a Tractor Supply web site. He has a Husqvarna handheld 125B blower, "This, when mixed with a gallon of fuel (128 ounces), gives you a mix ratio of 71:1. " Using this instead of 8 oz. of 2-cycle oil seems VERY RISKY. I might try 3 tubes to my 2 gallons of premium unleaded. Your comments?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
2 stroke oil has improved in quality over the years which is one reason for the higher and higher mix ratios. I am not a fan of the one mix stuff I just think that you run into running too lean on oil since some of those products are 100:1. Which I think could cause issues in some of the older 32 or 40:1 stuff, maybe not so much in 50:1. Poulan went from 40 to 50:1 on their products and never even made a mention about it, and their premix gas cans are labeled both 40:1 and 50:1, which doesn't seem possible or are they saying it is safe to use 50:1 in products that were previously 40:1 or are they just trying to shorten the life of older equipment so it gets replaced.

Retired Lucky

Forum Newbie
Threads
2 stroke oil has improved in quality over the years which is one reason for the higher and higher mix ratios. I am not a fan of the one mix stuff I just think that you run into running too lean on oil since some of those products are 100:1. Which I think could cause issues in some of the older 32 or 40:1 stuff, maybe not so much in 50:1. Poulan went from 40 to 50:1 on their products and never even made a mention about it, and their premix gas cans are labeled both 40:1 and 50:1, which doesn't seem possible or are they saying it is safe to use 50:1 in products that were previously 40:1 or are they just trying to shorten the life of older equipment so it gets replaced.
Thanks for the quick reply. One of my questions was buried in my long text and unanswered. It's the one about the LB drive mechanism using the oil in the 32:1 mix for lubrication. Does that force me to stay at 32:1 for my 10323 LB?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Retired, I don't do much work with LB so somebody else would be a better reference than I would on the working internals of that setup.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've read some on oiling these motors and as usual, the more I read the less I know. But a LB motor runs at about 3000 rpm while most other two strokes these days runs three times that rpm or more. I run Lawn Boy oil in the stronger mix as they recommend. Runs fine, no smoke, plug burns just right.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Amsoil has a 2 stroke oil called Saber (IIRC) they say it is so good, it can run @ 100:1 ratio in otherwise 50:1 Lawn tools..

Maybe, but I don't think I'm gonna try it. Looked at pricing, low cost, but shipping is outrageous.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is that not a belt drive? Nothing special internally in the engine?

Thanks for the quick reply. One of my questions was buried in my long text and unanswered. It's the one about the LB drive mechanism using the oil in the 32:1 mix for lubrication. Does that force me to stay at 32:1 for my 10323 LB?