Qestion on Accessories for Husky tractor

Dustycoyote

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just ordered a Husqvarna GT48XLS tractor. I only have about a half an acre to mow but I wanted a machine that had a better tranny than the K46 that is pretty universal on all non-GT mowers these days. I also am planning to plow snow so I wanted to get the locking diff.

(FYI, I've seen many forum posts here and on tractorbynet concerning the locking diffs on the Husky machines. I did a lot of research and it seems that all of the models with a locking diff on the K46 tranny have the auto locking diff that can't be turned off (people compalining about it tearing up their lawns on tight turns). The GT models that have a K66 with locking diff have a switch on the dash to turn on or off the locker.

Anyway, I don't get it till later this week but I can barely wait. Never have owned a riding mower before.

I have some questions for everyone on attachments for the mower. (I will probably post this in an accessories specific board as well if there is one).

I noticed that the attachments sold at sears are quite a bit cheaper than similar attachments on Husqvarna.com. I am planning to purchase a dethatcher and aerator (possibly even a cart).

I will also need a snow blade and here is where I need some help.

What blade should I buy?

Should I buy a Husky dozer blade? Could I consider the Craftsman blades? Will the Craftsman blades attach to my Husky GT? (bolt pattern the same between Husky and Craftsman.)

Are front attachments interchangeable between Husky Yard Tractors and Garden tractors? Could I consider a unit made for the Husky Yard tractor series?

Would I be better off getting a third party blade like the Berco?

I see two different kinds of blades advertised, snow blades (less expensive) and dozer blades (more expensive). What is the difference and why might I purchase one over the other.

Also,
I've seen online ads for the "Nordic Blade". It seems that, with the rounded edges of the blade, would not do a great job of scraping up snow but the fact that you can use it on grass is really appealing. The attachment system seems hokey to me and doesn't appear to allow for much control. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it worth considering?

Thanks for any help.

metz12

Threads
the nordic blade looks sweet for grass. and yes a craftsman will fit on the husqvarna tractor. also about the locking a trans axle, you dont need to buy one separate for mowing and plowing. you can lock it yourself (or have someone else lock it for you because you need a welder). when you lock the differential you lock whats called spider gears. you could probably just save some money and get extra spider gears so your back tires dont rip your grass up. they lock transaxles on mudding and offroading tractors for better traction. How to: Lock a Trans-axle or Differential - YouTube

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just don't understand why anyone would want to weld the spider gears in a working lawn mower. It has to make it a bear to steer and just make a mess out of your lawn. I think you would be better off with traction tires and wheel weights.

metz12

Threads
I just don't understand why anyone would want to weld the spider gears in a working lawn mower. It has to make it a bear to steer and just make a mess out of your lawn. I think you would be better off with traction tires and wheel weights.

i dont know either. wheel weights or a weight box. other tires other then turf savers is a good idea too. but if you just got another set of gears and another axle he could potentially have both a locked and and unlocked. its not necessary to have a locked differential when plowing but it would be helpful.

Dustycoyote

Forum Newbie
Threads
i don't know either. wheel weights or a weight box. other tires other then turf savers is a good idea too. but if you just got another set of gears and another axle he could potentially have both a locked and and unlocked. its not necessary to have a locked differential when plowing but it would be helpful.

It appears that I wasn't very clear in my initial post/question.
The Husqvarna lawn mower I am getting has an electronic locking differential. The diff can be locked or unlocked by a switch that is mounted on the dash of the unit.

Dustycoyote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks (lawn mower fanatic) for the link to the thread on dozer vs snow blade. Unofrtunately it seems that everyone on that thread is about as unsure as I am about it.

Nice to know also that I can order a Craftsman blade for my mower. I did some research and think that the Craftsman is just an Agri-fab blade.

It'd be nice if someone had some experience with Berco and/or Agri-fab blades that they could share. Also, if there were any nordic plow owners that could give 2 cents about what they like or don't like on that unit. I thought I saw a thread on a forum somewhere specifically about the nordic plow. I'll have to go search for it.

metz12

Threads
Thanks (lawn mower fanatic) for the link to the thread on dozer vs snow blade. Unofrtunately it seems that everyone on that thread is about as unsure as I am about it.

Nice to know also that I can order a Craftsman blade for my mower. I did some research and think that the Craftsman is just an Agri-fab blade.

It'd be nice if someone had some experience with Berco and/or Agri-fab blades that they could share. Also, if there were any nordic plow owners that could give 2 cents about what they like or don't like on that unit. I thought I saw a thread on a forum somewhere specifically about the nordic plow. I'll have to go search for it.

oh the whole locking and unlocking differential thing is cool! you just loose some steering when you lock your differential. just to let you know.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
i dont know either. wheel weights or a weight box. other tires other then turf savers is a good idea too. but if you just got another set of gears and another axle he could potentially have both a locked and and unlocked. its not necessary to have a locked differential when plowing but it would be helpful.

I guess I am not following you on this, didn't you say weld the spider gears Are you saying change the gears and axles every time you go from locked to unlocked? If this is what you are saying do you know what work it would involve to do so. Sorry to get away from the original thread.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you had two rear ends one locked and one not you could just change them out every fall and spring. Only takes about 15 mins.
And you don't have to weld the gears to lock it

(( cowboy up and get over it ))