Push Rod Help PLease

a1parrothead

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am working on a Briggs single cylinder 18.5 ELS500 engine. Model 31Q777-0466 E1

The UPPER valve guide came loose and caused a bent push rod. i BELIEVE this is the EXHAUST valve (upper). It had an ALUMINUM push rod in it that bent.

The LOWER valve has a steel push rod, and I believe it is the INTAKE valve.

But........ I bought a new EXHAUST (presumably upper vale) push rod (part #692011) and it is steel! The bent one that came out of that upper spot was aluminum!

The Briggs part number for the LOWER (Intake) valve push rod is #692003 and I bought it also and it is ALUMINUM!

The lower (INTAKE) valve CURRENTLY has a steel push rod!

1- Am I correct the upper valve is the exhaust?
2- Where does the aluminum rod go in this engine? In the upper exhaust, or the lower intake?
3- If the Upper exhaust is meant to be steel as the part number suggests, why was it aluminum and bent? Maybe prior mistake by the factory or backyard mechanic?
4.- Mostly, I just need to know where the aluminum rod goes. Do I put it on top valve or on the bottom?
Please advise, I am itching to get this put back together.
Jeff

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Aluminum on the bottom intake valve. There were probably switched by a backyard mechanic but in reality doesn't make that much difference, You can run steel on both valves if you want.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of my cutomers end up with two steel pushrods.
Every 200 hours I turn the pushrods around till they show enough wear to require replacement.

a1parrothead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you both. I will put the aluminum one in the bottom intake.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well you didn't say what you did about the slipped valve guide. Simply pushing it back in place will not do it. Also, why the guide slipped in the first place. Usually it is caused by a cooling problem, plugged cooling shroud or cooling fins. Don't forget the passage going thru the head around the valve guide castings.

B&S says you have to buy a new head, I have a fix which has been used by many, many for several years now IF you would like it, address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want and engine model number. FREE.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

a1parrothead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well you didn't say what you did about the slipped valve guide. Simply pushing it back in place will not do it. Also, why the guide slipped in the first place. Usually it is caused by a cooling problem, plugged cooling shroud or cooling fins. Don't forget the passage going thru the head around the valve guide castings.

B&S says you have to buy a new head, I have a fix which has been used by many, many for several years now IF you would like it, address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want and engine model number. FREE.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
Walt,
I drilled and tapped the head and put in a set screw. I also used a special Loctite to bond the sleeve. And, I also peened the area around both sides of the guide (inner and outer). Hopefully this will hold!
Thanks, Jeff