push mowers

knownothing

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI wondering how effective are push mowers. Are they worth the money? any problems? any information would be great as I know nothing about mowers. Thanks

bogdaN

Threads
Push mower with Honda engine give U problem free many years of usage. Providing that U properly maintain it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you mean a walk behind mower with an engine in it \or
one of the old mowers where your pushing turns the blades ?

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would be referring to what is called a "Reel-Mower"............ No engine, just human power to push & spin the blades.

I would say they are as effective as you can push it.. We had one when I was a kid over 1/2 century ago. I wasn't fond of mowing with it, but it was always ready to go.

knownothing

Forum Newbie
Threads
You would be referring to what is called a "Reel-Mower"............ No engine, just human power to push & spin the blades.

I would say they are as effective as you can push it.. We had one when I was a kid over 1/2 century ago. I wasn't fond of mowing with it, but it was always ready to go.
yes reel power as you put it, thats true always ready to go. blade sharping is an issue or they never become blunt? thanks for the reply

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two massive problems with using a reel mower
1) frequency of mowing.
When we had one mowing had to be done almost daily if we had a wet growing season
2) type of grass
We grew different types of grasses then. very much couch and similar with fine leaves that cut easily.
The modern wide leaf tough grasses tend to be too thick and soft to cut efficiently with a reel mower, powered or unpowered.

On top of that as mentioned the bed knife needs to be razor sharp.
The reel knives are not so important to be sharp but they must be true to the bed knife, close fitting and have absolutely no knicks or burrs.
This is the same for all reel mowere not just self powered ones but the self powered are far more sensative to sharpness.

They work best with the type of grasses used on golf greens.

The other bugbear is the need to rake all twiggs & fallen leaves off the grass before you mow as twiggs will dent the blades.

knownothing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two massive problems with using a reel mower
1) frequency of mowing.
When we had one mowing had to be done almost daily if we had a wet growing season
2) type of grass
We grew different types of grasses then. very much couch and similar with fine leaves that cut easily.
The modern wide leaf tough grasses tend to be too thick and soft to cut efficiently with a reel mower, powered or unpowered.

On top of that as mentioned the bed knife needs to be razor sharp.
The reel knives are not so important to be sharp but they must be true to the bed knife, close fitting and have absolutely no knicks or burrs.
This is the same for all reel mowere not just self powered ones but the self powered are far more sensative to sharpness.

They work best with the type of grasses used on golf greens.

The other bugbear is the need to rake all twiggs & fallen leaves off the grass before you mow as twiggs will dent the blades.
perfect, thats for the information. thats exactly what I was looking for. I think to much trouble

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be careful with one of those. A friend & his brother were carrying theirs down some steps to put away & the one was holding it in a bad place the wheel hit a step spun the blades & he lost 1/4 of his finger..