Purchased my first Zero turn

t229

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was needing a new mower for 1 acre lot. I have never been on a zero turn before. I was set on a Scag Freedom Z cause I mostly see Scags being used commercially in my area. I went to the tractor store sat on the Scag, great seat armrest etc. store was closed though. ( Four Brothers )

Went back when they were open and spoke to a salesman. Told him my needs and asked him what he advised I try. He put me on a Snapper Pro s125xt and said he didnt have one in stock but the Snapper Pro s50xt was almost the same mower and would be in stock today or tomorrow. He also showed me a Farris is600z told me it was the same mower as the Snapper just had Suspension. He said he would sell me a Scag if thats all I would take but recommended the Snapper or Farris. I got literature on some mowers and went home to do some homework (hours of reading on this forum). The Following mowers were in the running all 48 inch cut.

Snapper Pro S50XT Kawi FX, 3100 trans, icd velocity style deck, dual tanks, greasable spindle, no ROPS, $4999

Ferris IS600Z Kawi FS, 3400 trans, icd velocity style deck, larger tires, suspension, greasable spindle, ROPS $4499

Scag Freedom Z Kawi FR, 2800 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, ROPS $4999

Kubota Kommander Kohler, 3100 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, ROPS $4999

Bad Boy ZT Elite Kohler, 3100 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, No ROPS $4999

Went to Kubota dealer, really liked the look of the kommander but really wanted a Kawasaki due to read ing alot of great things about them.Went back to the original dealer and the Snapper Pro was in stock. What a great mower I was ready to pull the trigger when the salesman told me they just opened a SALE on the mowers making the Ferris $5045 and the Snapper Pro $4750.
So I test drove both of them. What a difference the suspension and the 3400 transaxles made, it was faster and way smoother. I thought it over and pulled the trigger on the Ferris IS600Z due the ride and it just seemed beefier due to the bigger tires and ROPS. The very close second choice was the Snapper Pro. It was a tuff decision due the FX Kawi on the Snapper Pro. Did some homework and the only difference between the FX and FS is the upgraded air filtration unit on the FX along with the metal casing. The dealer even threw in some armrests for free.
Shopping for Zero turns is fun. Just wanted to share my experience.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was needing a new mower for 1 acre lot. I have never been on a zero turn before. I was set on a Scag Freedom Z cause I mostly see Scags being used commercially in my area. I went to the tractor store sat on the Scag, great seat armrest etc. store was closed though. ( Four Brothers )

Went back when they were open and spoke to a salesman. Told him my needs and asked him what he advised I try. He put me on a Snapper Pro s125xt and said he didnt have one in stock but the Snapper Pro s50xt was almost the same mower and would be in stock today or tomorrow. He also showed me a Farris is600z told me it was the same mower as the Snapper just had Suspension. He said he would sell me a Scag if thats all I would take but recommended the Snapper or Farris. I got literature on some mowers and went home to do some homework (hours of reading on this forum). The Following mowers were in the running all 48 inch cut.

Snapper Pro S50XT Kawi FX, 3100 trans, icd velocity style deck, dual tanks, greasable spindle, no ROPS, $4999

Ferris IS600Z Kawi FS, 3400 trans, icd velocity style deck, larger tires, suspension, greasable spindle, ROPS $4499

Scag Freedom Z Kawi FR, 2800 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, ROPS $4999

Kubota Kommander Kohler, 3100 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, ROPS $4999

Bad Boy ZT Elite Kohler, 3100 trans, box style deck, sealed bearings, No ROPS $4999

Went to Kubota dealer, really liked the look of the kommander but really wanted a Kawasaki due to read ing alot of great things about them.Went back to the original dealer and the Snapper Pro was in stock. What a great mower I was ready to pull the trigger when the salesman told me they just opened a SALE on the mowers making the Ferris $5045 and the Snapper Pro $4750.
So I test drove both of them. What a difference the suspension and the 3400 transaxles made, it was faster and way smoother. I thought it over and pulled the trigger on the Ferris IS600Z due the ride and it just seemed beefier due to the bigger tires and ROPS. The very close second choice was the Snapper Pro. It was a tuff decision due the FX Kawi on the Snapper Pro. Did some homework and the only difference between the FX and FS is the upgraded air filtration unit on the FX along with the metal casing. The dealer even threw in some armrests for free.
Shopping for Zero turns is fun. Just wanted to share my experience.

$4499 is an unbelievable price for a 48" is600. It is a better mower than the s50xt because of the things you mentioned. I have never seen one priced cheaper than an s50xt before though. Is that a typo?

clpolcar

Threads
Wow I bought my is600 last year and it cost me 5000 plus tax. Thats a great deal on the Ferris.

t229

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow I bought my is600 last year and it cost me 5000 plus tax. Thats a great deal on the Ferris.

Sorry guys that was a typo. Price initially was $5499 after the sale it was $5050. $5364 out the door. They charged .0625 for tax. I will attempt to correct my mistake.

Update, I did my first cut with the mower today. Wow, super fast, half the time it took with my tractor style John Deere 42 inch cut. Ground was a bit wet and I tore up the grass in some placed attempting to Zero turn the mower. I gotta figure that out without tearing up the grass. Cut was awesome though. The back half of my acre is super rough at high speeds. Im glad I chose the IS600Z with the suspension, I would have to really slow down without it im sure. I could really see the shocks doing work while i was mowing. So what i thought may be a gimmick isnt at all. Thanks for the replys.

t229

Forum Newbie
Threads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 27

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sorry guys that was a typo. Price initially was $5499 after the sale it was $5050. $5364 out the door. They charged .0625 for tax. I will attempt to correct my mistake.

Update, I did my first cut with the mower today. Wow, super fast, half the time it took with my tractor style John Deere 42 inch cut. Ground was a bit wet and I tore up the grass in some placed attempting to Zero turn the mower. I gotta figure that out without tearing up the grass. Cut was awesome though. The back half of my acre is super rough at high speeds. Im glad I chose the IS600Z with the suspension, I would have to really slow down without it im sure. I could really see the shocks doing work while i was mowing. So what i thought may be a gimmick isnt at all. Thanks for the replys.

It took me two years to figure out how to make a proper zero turn without damaging my lawn. Ric has posted a diagram showing what I am about to describe. I hope he reads this and posts it on here again. You need to make a Y turn to prevent divots. When you get to the end of your lawn and want to make a zero turn, come to a stop and go backwards a short distance. While going backwards pull one leaver further back than the other to start the turn. Turf damage happens when one wheel stops moving and you spin around pivoting on that non moving wheel. Both wheels need to continue moving when turning. It's easier to understand with the diagram. I will try to find it if ric hasn't posted it on here.

t229

Forum Newbie
Threads
It took me two years to figure out how to make a proper zero turn without damaging my lawn. Ric has posted a diagram showing what I am about to describe. I hope he reads this and posts it on here again. You need to make a Y turn to prevent divots. When you get to the end of your lawn and want to make a zero turn, come to a stop and go backwards a short distance. While going backwards pull one leaver further back than the other to start the turn. Turf damage happens when one wheel stops moving and you spin around pivoting on that non moving wheel. Both wheels need to continue moving when turning. It's easier to understand with the diagram. I will try to find it if ric hasn't posted it on here.

Good Description I will work on doing that. Thanks for the advice.