Pulsa Prime Carburetor Repair

longtimealaskan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would greatly appreciate some thoughts on my lawn mower problem.

I was given a lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine with a pulsa prime carburetor. The owner couldn稚 get it started so he gave it to me because I like to tinker. Both fuel and spark were absent. The lawn mower apparently sat outdoors for a long time since the gas tank was completely full of water.
I drained the tank and cleaned it out. I removed the carburetor, cleaned it with my air compressor, followed by carburetor cleaner, followed by another cleaning with my air compressor. I replaced the diaphragm and gasket and reassembled the carburetor/gas tank assembly.

I removed the pull start assembly and the flywheel to check the flywheel key. The key was fine, but the edge of the flywheel was covered with rust. After I cleaned the edge of the flywheel with light sandpaper followed by emery cloth, I got spark. I put some carburetor cleaner in the carburetor and started the engine. The engine ran until it used up the carburetor cleaner.
I put gas in the gas tank and found the primer wouldn稚 prime. I pulled the primer button off. It appeared to be in good condition.

I think I did everything right up to this point but now I screw things up. I thought the little ball bearing in the carburetor behind the primer might be frozen in place, although I have no idea as to its function. I started poking it gently trying to get it to move. It wouldn稚 move. I pushed a little harder and it moved all the way back to the end of the tube and it stayed there. Is there a way to reposition the ball bearing or is the carburetor shot?

But wait, there痴 more. The pulsa prime carburetor has a small tube open to the outside of the carburetor. The open tube is connected to the siphon tube. If I plug that open tube with a round dowel, the primer will prime properly and the engine will run properly.

While I apparently broke my carburetor by pushing the ball bearing too far in, I can still start and run the engine by plugging the open tube. I think I have seen pulsa prime carburetors with the 登pen tube not open. Is there anything wrong with repairing the carburetor by plugging the open tube?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If this is the carb i think it is. The carb is plastic, and the tube faces the fuel cap. there is suppose to be a ball bearing in that tube to seal it. I have seen more than one have the ball come out.

longtimealaskan

Forum Newbie
Threads
If this is the carb i think it is. The carb is plastic, and the tube faces the fuel cap. there is suppose to be a ball bearing in that tube to seal it. I have seen more than one have the ball come out.

Thank you for your response to my question. Yes, this is a plastic carb and the open tube faces the fuel cap. Is the ball bearing a friction fit or is it secured in place with epoxy or some other type od material?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
it is compression fit at the factory. but due to unseen forces tends to come out on occasion. I have seen various people use epoxy to seal the hole, or have seen people fit other things in there with epoxy.