pull start kicking back

mpudgie282

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone having some problem with my craftsman lawn mower model.# 917.370770.. every time i pull starter it the dam thing the pull cable kicks back i have no idea what is going on can some one please help :mad:

twinfords

Threads
could be several things, you sheared the keyway off, you bent the crankshaft, you dont have a blade on the blade adapter or you sheared the blade adapter pin off.

blr3a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like the starter clutch to me. Have to pull the cover off and the starter clutch is threaded on the crank shaft. They are kind of difficult to remove. Check the function and play. Should spin free one way and not spin the other way. Should have a little play, but not too much. Sometimes you can take it apart and clean it real good and put light oil back in it and use it. They are inexpensive however and I recommend you replace it if this is the problem.

If you are saying it starts and kicks the pull handle out. If not please reword the question.

mike yateman

Forum Newbie
Threads
twinfords is right i just fixed one today tucumseh motors are well known for shearing off the key way ...Did u hit anything with it ..

mpudgie282

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure my father told me to take a look at it.what about the blade adapter is it supposed to move up and down and when i pull start it the bolt on there gets lose with the blade..

mike yateman

Forum Newbie
Threads
no it should be tight try tightening the bolt up and see what happens

mpudgie282

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did i tighten the hell out of that that bolt everything is still the same

mpudgie282

Forum Newbie
Threads
the blade adapter is still lose moves up and down

mike yateman

Forum Newbie
Threads
the bolt should have a thick washer on it to take up the slack ........