Pull blade engage and mower dies

ancient11

Threads
Since this mower was new, every time you try to engage the blade it dies unless you are real fast engaging, disengaging, engaging, disengaging, engaging again.

I have taken the belt off the clutch and turned it by hand to see if it turns freely and it does, so the deck and belt system is not the problem. i have put a meter on the clutch to check the amount of draw and it does not seem to be excessive.

I have had a lot of problems with the seat switch causing me untold misery. First the engine would not start and I finally traced it back to that unethical idiot switch they call a seat switch. Then shutting down for no reason and engine skipping all because of the idiot switch. i want to blame this on that plague but i can't see how the seat switch would cause the engine to die when engaging the blade. AlthougH I must admit I am ready to bypass the seat switch. I have put three new seats switch's in.

Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

hitmanharleyk

Threads
My Husqvarna had this problem when a bearing went out on a deck spindle, it had locked up and killed the mower when you engaged the clutch. Does yours actually work some or does it kill it every time?

ancient11

Threads
My Husqvarna had this problem when a bearing went out on a deck spindle, it had locked up and killed the mower when you engaged the clutch. Does yours actually work some or does it kill it every time?

If I just pull the blade engagement switch, it will kill it every time and has done so since I first got it brand new. If I tun it off and on real quick 3 or 4 times real fast it runs just fine.

I have just disassembled all three spindles and put fresh grease in all of them. i don't think this is mechanical, i think this is electrical. mechanically the mower is perfect.

Sammy the Red

Threads
Engage at a higher r.p.m.

Does it also do this after the motor has warmed up ?

ancient11

Threads
Engage at a higher r.p.m.
I don't try unless it is wide open, cant go any faster.:smile:
All the time, hot or Cold.
Tomorrow I am going to check the reverse switch and if that checks out I will bypass the seat switch and see if that helps.

mozart2u

Forum Newbie
Threads

this is happening to my Husqvarna, it started today mid mow....everything runs fine, but when i engage the blade it dies.....how do i change a bearing on the deck spindle?

ancient11

Threads
this is happening to my Husqvarna, it started today mid mow....everything runs fine, but when i engage the blade it dies.....how do i change a bearing on the deck spindle?

Look on left side of deck (as you are sitting on it) and you will see a belt tension bar, release it and take belt off the PTO clutch. Then loosen the nut on top of pulley and back off until it is just above the top of the threads. Take a wooden block or some soft hammer and tap it down, then finish taking nut off and push the spindle completely through. I hope yours has bearings for mine did not, only a bronze sleeve.

You can then inspect, replace and grease what is there--good luck.

hitmanharleyk

Threads

first thing you need to do is remove the deck belt ant then turn the belt pulleys and make sure that is truly the issue. If the bearings are gone in one, you'll know right away.

What model mower do you have?