PTO always engaged

mowgli

Member
I have a DLT2000 with the following issue. The blades are engaged even when the PTo switch is not in the on position! I've checked the switch with a multimeter according to the circuit diagram in the manual and it seems to be open and closed correctly in the on as well as off positions.

I'm thinking of checking the voltage going to the clutch and then thinking about a way to figure out if the clutch itself is bad. As far as I can tell, the drive belts are the correct sizes ... I don't know if perhaps the one on the clutch pulley is perhaps too tight?

Any thoughts you have on what to try or what the problem could be are welcome!
 
With an electric clutch, unplug the clutch, there should a plug within 8” of the clutch itself. Test the unit. If the blades are still engaged, my guess is the clutch is bad. If the blades are disengaged, bad PTO switch. Let us know what you find.
 
With an electric clutch, unplug the clutch, there should a plug within 8” of the clutch itself. Test the unit. If the blades are still engaged, my guess is the clutch is bad. If the blades are disengaged, bad PTO switch. Let us know what you find.
Ok, it took a while to get the plug undone (it was all gummed up with dirt and I spent an afternoon on it being ginger so as not to break it. Finally figured out to use some dielectric grease). And indeed, the blades still engage even with the plug disconnected. So it seems like the clutch is somehow stuck or seized. I guess the next step is to take the deck down and try to see what's going on....
 
Most likely the lower PTO bearing is seized then and most PTO bearings are not replaceable but some are just depends what the PTO clutch OEM did..
 
Most likely the lower PTO bearing is seized then and most PTO bearings are not replaceable but some are just depends what the PTO clutch OEM did..
Is the only way to access the clutch to take the deck down, or can it be removed otherwise?
 
After doing a bit of reading it seems like the deck doesn't need to be taken down, just the belt removed off the clutch. It sounds like I have to be careful about some kind of issue with the flywheel turning while taking the clutch off. Not sure what that is all about - my first time doing a repair like this ... any pointers are appreciated. Thanks for all your help so far!
 
The grease dries out then the beating siezes
On some the bearing can be replaced
on others you can pop the rubber seals & add some grease from time to time .
Most however are not serviceable in any way shape of form they just get replaced.
There is a lot more to buying a mower than most think.
The cheaper it is the more it will cost in the long run.
 
Back
Top