Propane Trimmers!?

VRman

Threads
Anyone have any experience with these propane trimmers yet?

Just wondering if they are more efficient on fuel vs 2-cycle, and less noisy. Wonder what the life expectancy of the motor is. I saw one that said it got 2 hours on a 16.4 oz bottle. Said it was a 4 cycle engine though. I thought those were heavier than the 2-cycle engines. :confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
4 cycle engine though. I thought those were heavier than the 2-cycle engines. :confused2:

It will have to be a 4 cycle engine as there is no way to mix oil with propane for a 2 cycle... And you would not want to do an oil injection system.
The weight will be slightly heavier than a 2 cycle.
The biggest selling points for this seems to be...
1. Cleaner no messy fuel to work with. (that may be true, depending on how messy you are with poring gasoline).
2. Cleaner to operate. (that may be true, but only slightly cleaner. Remember though you are comparing it against a 4 cycle gasoline trimmer, both types of fuel in a 4 cycle engine will be cleaner than most 2 cycle engines).

To me I have to wonder... Is it worth the little convince of not having gasoline?
Is that convenience off set by paying the equivalent of $16 to $40 per gallon of propane (price of 16 oz cylinders has a big spread...

For me I will have to stick to cheap gasoline (currently less than $3 a gallon)

Last part is noise... No they will still sound the same... gas or propane.... KennyV