Seems like it has been discussed here not too long ago...
There are places that propane is handy, like on fork lifts used inside... On a mower it seems like having the on hand fuel tanks to swap out would be Un-handy...
I have used farm tractors on propane, works Okay but there is a bit of reduction in torque & HP... plus about a 30 to 40 percent increase in fuel consumption with propane, but it burns clean... On a larger tractor when LP was cheap it was worth the added refueling problems, plus you seldom missed the HP loss... on a smaller mower engine that Might be noticeable ...
Why are you thinking about it? are you set up to fill your own tanks?
I still heat with LP but would not want to go back to tractors on it... I like Diesel..:smile:KennyV
Iff you are set up to do your own refueling... It might be a bit more economical ... you will use more LP but it is still under $2 a gallon in bulk, I have a 1000 gallon tank..
Still NOT that handy to have to deal with transferring into smaller tanks... :smile:KennyV
I just don't see an advantage using propane on small engines. I probably burn 30 gallons of gasoline annually, which is a lot of mowing for a "homeowner". Handling concerns, special carburetors, regulators, the lack of lubrication in propane all add up to it just not being worth the squeeze. Add to that, if you take it into a shop to have it repaired (heaven forbid:ashamed::biggrinwho is going to be qualified to uh, repair this one of a kind monstrosity?
The worry over lack of lube comes from old engines that needed lead in the fuel to keep from wearing out the valve seats. Has not been a problem for many many years. Any engine that can run on unleaded fuel should be able to run on propane. I have seen many industrial irrigation engines that clocked well over a year in hours on propane. There are some natural gas engines that still have to have specs in the oil to hold down valve wear as well as ash. Those run on another type of natural gas than residential and are sometimes two stroke, sometimes four stroke.