Problems after installing new carburetor

Bobbrock86

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently installed a genuine Briggs carburetor on my Troy Bilt model 13yx79k011 lawn tractor. It ran fine for two mows. Now when I try to start it it either doesn't even try to turn over. Or when it does try to turn over it struggles to start. I have gotten it to start a few times but it struggles and eventually dies. I am not very familiar with small engines, but I know a little bit.

I don't know what else to even try. It has a new fuel filter, spark plug, and fresh gas. When it does actually start (which is rare) a little white smoke comes out where the mowed grass comes out. I only got this far with it once, and then it died again.

I have tried adjusting the throttle screw, but I think all I did was make the issue worse. I was going to try to replace the throttle cable because I have absolutely no idea of what else to try. I am very close to throwing in the towel.

dougand3

Threads
Smoke from under the deck? The PTO lever is off, right? The deck belt is pulling on the engine pulley? As in routed wrongly. When starting, the deck belt should be loose and put no load on the engine pulley.

Bobbrock86

Forum Newbie
Threads
The smoke only appears when I engage the blade. There is no smoke when the mower is running without the blades lowered. It is barley even visible but it is definitely there. I can't even get it to stay started long enough to even see the smoke anymore though.

I have noticed that when I try to start it it won't crank unless push and hold the choke. If I just set the choke without applying pressure and holding it then 90% of the time it doesn't even try to start.

I was able to start it yesterday but now I can't get it to run for more than maybe 3 seconds. When I try to let off the choke it dies. I have also noticed when it does try to start a little puff of black smoke will come out of the carb.

I will try the recommended suggestions. Thank you for the quick responses.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The head gasket is blown between the push rod tunnel & the cylinder.
Run the engine for a few minutes then turn it off.
Count to 5 then take outt he dipstick and watch the end of the tube for wisps of smoke /

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently installed a genuine Briggs carburetor on my Troy Bilt model 13yx79k011 lawn tractor. It ran fine for two mows. Now when I try to start it it either doesn't even try to turn over. Or when it does try to turn over it struggles to start. I have gotten it to start a few times but it struggles and eventually dies. I am not very familiar with small engines, but I know a little bit.

I don't know what else to even try. It has a new fuel filter, spark plug, and fresh gas. When it does actually start (which is rare) a little white smoke comes out where the mowed grass comes out. I only got this far with it once, and then it died again.

I have tried adjusting the throttle screw, but I think all I did was make the issue worse. I was going to try to replace the throttle cable because I have absolutely no idea of what else to try. I am very close to throwing in the towel.

What engine does it have? The engine model numbers will be stamped on the valve cover.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Sounds to me like you may have more than one problem.
Struggling to turn over.
Then won't stay running for more than 3 seconds.
Dying when you release the choke.

Defs: Turn over.... Engine spinning when starting
What is the "struggling" part? Struggling to turn over or struggles to run after it starts?