Mower deck Problem with Exmark Lazer Z HP, 48' mower deck cloggin up.

oldsongdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Problem with Exmark Lazer Z HP, 48' mower deck cloggin up.
:thumbdown:
I have a Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 48" mower deck. It is an older one purchased new in June, 2003 but only has 301 hours on it and looks like new. Since day one, I have had problems with the mower deck clogging up with grass. I can tell from the sound of the deck when it is clogging up and it also leaves a narrow strip of uncut grass that lines up with the space between the two left blades opposite the exit chute. If I disengage the blade drive large chunks of grass will drop down and kick out when I reengage the drive it leaves a large pile of grass in the yard. I can do this several times before it doesn't do much good anymore. Then I have to drive the mower up on a set of ramps, roll around on the ground with a putty knife and clean out as much as I can and then use a power washer to get the rest. I mow about one acre and the last time I had to go through this whole process twice to complete my yard.

The grass itself was dry but did have a high moisture content due to a recent rain. I have tried everything in an attempt to avoid the grass building up under the deck. Mow slower, mow faster, new blades and etc to no avail.

I can't imagine how anyone could put up with this problem in a commercial use situation. I literally spend more time cleaning out the mower deck than I do actually mowing.

Any ideas out there as to what I can do to reduce/eliminate the problem?

Thank You

jetta

Threads
we run exmarks also but mostly 52,s we have this problem only when cutting wet grass or weeded yards w/ crabb,quack ect because they hold so much water. they work great on slightly damp grass and fry grass. we als use fluid film on our decks which does help a lot.

scott47429

Threads
i use a Exmark with a 72" deck and i have no problem with it i can mow when its so wet i have water coming out the discharge i did have the same problem with a wheel horse that i traded for the Exmark never did find the problem but you might make sure the deck is pitched down in the front a 1/4 - 3/8 of a inch more then the rear

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull blades off cover spindle holes clean very very well take some high gloss rattle can paint. and paint bottom of deck let dry put a second coat on if needed (lots of grooves and such) put a few layers of wax on the bottom of the deck. I do this with all my mowers and the results are outstanding also wax the chute if it has one. Bagging specific blades help because they have bigger "wings" and help keep clean and get better suction. If you bag keep the chute clean and obsticle clear. And keep bags clean with pressure washer/ compressed air you should be able to see light through the fabric this also helps suction. Also since it is a rider you can buy a blower for it but in my experience this can back fire and clog worse.

redfish9

Threads
do youhave a mulch box on? How tall is the grass you are mowing?? Lift exit guide and mow when the grass is shorter

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Was talking to a dealer who sells exmark and toro he told us the exmark will give you a better cut and the toro is good if your going to use it like a bush hog.
In my line of work I cut a lot of yards that are like cutting a hay field. Was told the exmark will not handle it like the toro will

Sent from my iPhone using LMF