Problem with 120 volt Tecumseh starter/gear on a craftsman snowblower

Cfs

Threads
  • / Problem with 120 volt Tecumseh starter/gear on a craftsman snowblower
I was gifted a 9 hp craftsman snow thrower A model number 536.886260. It has a Craftsman /Tecumseh made engine model 143.019003. I got it running and starting with the recoil starter. I examined the starter and found numerous teeth broken off of the starter gear (bendix). It is a 16 tooth gear. I replaced the gear and it was a fairly simple process but getting the retaining ring off and back on without the Tecumseh tools is a challenge. But it runs and It extends the gear properly, but when I installed on the unit it will engage and turn the flywheel maybe half a turn and then tie up. If I engage the starter again it may turn and inch or two and tie up and if I try it again it won't move at all...and the gear does not retract back down the starter. I can start it with the recoil starter but the gear stays 'stuck' meshed in the fly wheel and at the end of the starter motor shaft

I have not carefully examined all 360 degrees of the flywheel gear and I suppose that I could have a. bad tooth or teeth, the flywheel gearing is weathered and has some surface rust..should I attempt to oil the gear teeth?

Anyone having any guidance please share your ideas and experiences. I am going to look at it again and see what I can see.
Thanks
Chuck

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your craftsman engine number crosses to a Tecumseh engine HMSK90 .156536D. I’m thinking because of the age of the engine your starter commutator may be carbon loaded. The starter number is 33329E, but is no longer available. A little searching on the internet may get you one. A good old tech may be able to fix it, but the cost is more than I would pay. Before throwing in the towel try removing the spark plug and see if it will spin the engine over. If it does, but won’t work with the plug in, you’ll have to replace the starter. If you have a good bone in your area you might find one there.

Cfs

Threads
Thanks for your reply. I took the starter apart and the armature is definitely bad I can get a aftermarket on Amazon. I way sell it as pull start only and install a starter if whoever wants to buy it wants a an electric starter