Problem starting new honda engine. Help please

ctm25

Threads
I just installed a new honda gcv190 on my old snapper push mower, and it won't start. I put in the oil, put in the gas, the spark plug is installed correctly.

I turned the gas on, pulled the stop bar and pulled the starting chord while having the mower is in choke mode.

I've tried to start repeatedly, and all I get is some sputtering/firing from the spark plug but the engine won't start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure whether the engine is flooded or what. I've turned the gas valve off for now.

CTM

Threads
I'm not the mechanic here, but I would suggest looking at other threads (down at the bottom of the page under SIMILAR THREADS or searching for what you are looking for)...until someone answers.
Best of luck! :smile:
-lmf

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just installed a new honda gcv190 on my old snapper push mower, and it won't start. I put in the oil, put in the gas, the spark plug is installed correctly
CTM

Generally, it usually a lack of spark or fuel that would prevent an engine from starting.

To check spark, remove the spark plug, but leave it connected to the cap. Grip the rubber cap, and press the tip (electrode) of the spark plug against a metal part of the engine block. Have a helper pull the starter grip, and examine the gap between the electrode and the tip of the spark plug. You should see a light spark jump the gap. If not, the on/off switch may be in the wrong position or not wired right. Re-check after inspecting the switch and wiring. When/if you get a good spark, move on to fuel troubleshooting.

Confirm the choke is working, regardless of the engine's temp. Make sure the choke plate is fully closed when the choke is engaged. A partially closed choke is not enough to get the engine to start.

Next, confirm there is fuel reaching the carb by loosening the drain bolt on the carb bowl. If no fuel is present, check the fuel supply, fuel valve, and tubes.

If fuel and spark are present, then it's likely to be a blockage or some debris in the carburetor. Disassemble and clean, reinstall with new gaskets. A detailed procedure is in the Sticky section at the top of the Honda Forums area.

ctm25

Threads
Thanks. . . will try those things. Question--this is a brand new engine (and the gas I'm using is only about 2 weeks old and treated with stabilizer). Could the carburetor be blocked or messed up on a brand new engine?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks. . . will try those things. Question--this is a brand new engine (and the gas I'm using is only about 2 weeks old and treated with stabilizer). Could the carburetor be blocked or messed up on a brand new engine?

Unlikely a brand-new engine would have a blockage or debris in the carb.

Has the engine EVER run yet?

I'll bet it's either spark, lack of fuel, or inoperative choke is the culprit.

ctm25

Threads
It's brand new and never been started. I ordered the engine online, bolted on to my snapper frame, and now trying to figure out what to do.

ctm25

Threads
"Confirm the choke is working, regardless of the engine's temp. Make sure the choke plate is fully closed when the choke is engaged. A partially closed choke is not enough to get the engine to start."

This particular engine has a choke lever. So I've been closing the choke, but it gets released when I pull the starting rope and push the engine stop lever device at the handle (which I'm doing simultaneously). Am I doing this correctly?

How do I check to see if the choke plate is fully closed? Thanks.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I've been closing the choke, but it gets released when I pull the starting rope and push the engine stop lever device at the handle (which I'm doing simultaneously). Am I doing this correctly?

How do I check to see if the choke plate is fully closed? Thanks.

The GCV190 is made with a number of different types of choke and throttle designs. I assume yours is a fully manual choke and throttle? Is that right? Other types are fixed throttle (non-adjustable, wide-open all the time) and ACS (Automatic Choke System) style. The ACS uses a thermowax cylinder that moves the choke open or closed depending on the temperature of the engine block.

Remove the air cleaner and filter so you can see the butterfly valve on the carburetor. When the lever is in full CHOKE position, the butterfly plate should be fully closed, maybe a small crack. If not, adjust the cable / lever so the plate is fully closed when moved to CHOKE. An adjustment should also be used to keep the choke closed and not pop open when starting.

Let me know the serial number XXXX-1234567 on the side of the engine block, and I can post the correct pages from the shop manual for that exact engine.

ctm25

Threads
Thanks. Will give that stuff a shot later this afternoon.

The engine is model GCV190-S3A, and the serial is ____________.

Still no luck, so I took to a dealer for warranty repair.

Last edited: