Problem greasing Toro C3000 zero turn

zeekstern

Threads
The Toro C3000 is about 2 years old and has just reached the 100 hour mark.
There are 2 places where I cannot get any grease into the zerks. The idler arm assembly and the pulley towards the rear, close to the engine. I have replaced both zerks and both had grease in the ends of them when I took them out. I have never been able to get any grease in there and am now starting to worry. I have one of those pistol grip grease guns that works just fine on the other grease fittings so I don't think its a grease gun problem.

Any ideas on what is going on and how I can fix it? I was thinking that maybe if I can't get any grease in there that maybe its just full.

Also, one more question about greasing. When I grease the 3 blade spindles, the salesman told me I should see grease coming out under the deck. I jacked that thing up and greased the heck out of it and have never seen any grease come out the other end. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Zeek

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes dirt and gunk will prevent the little ball on the zerk from moving and could be seized shut. Poke it with something to see if you can push the ball down. If you can then its working. Also if its an angle thing hard to get the gun on it go get a couple 90 degree zerks will help

zeekstern

Threads
Thanks exotion. These zerks don't have any balls. Guess they must be female zerks.:))
The only ball is on the outside and it doesn't look like they are made to move. I replaced those 2 with new ones, hoping that if it was a zerk problem that the new ones would fix it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
With one of the removed zerks, shove it back on the grease gun and give light squeeze, grease should squirt on out.

If someone tells you to keep greasing a fitting until you see grease spurting out of one of the sealed bearings, you should ignore him totally.....

zeekstern

Threads
With one of the removed zerks, shove it back on the grease gun and give light squeeze, grease should squirt on out.
If someone tells you to keep greasing a fitting until you see grease spurting out of one of the sealed bearings, you should ignore him totally.....

Thanks Fish. I did that and grease is now getting into all of the zerks. The problem I was having with the idler arm was that apparently the end of the grease gun was not on there exactly straight. Grease was squirting out the side instead of getting into the zerk. I took the rubber hose off and put the steel tube on there and grease finally went in.

Is it possible that the grease fittings on on idler arm and spindles are all sealed? How can I tell? How much grease do I put in? I gave it about 10 or so pumps and then I wasn't able to pump it anymore, so I guess it was full?
I was hoping that someone in this forum had the same model Toro and greases it. The older model Toros were different.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, if you cannot pump in grease, then the old grease is likely caked in there. But in general, never keep pumping until you see grease squirting out, as that destroys the seals, and you will be replacing that bearing soon.

Grease maybe once a year, one squeeze, maybe 2 on the bigger stuff, that is all.

zeekstern

Threads
What you say makes sense Fish. Thanks.
I am still confused though:))

I just went back and read the manual. In one place it says to grease the deck spindles every 50 hours. The next paragraph down it says to "Make sure cutting unit spindles are full of grease weekly. Grease the 3 spindle bearings until grease comes out the lower seals".

This brings me back to my original problem. I have never seen grease come out any of the lower seals. I cleaned the bottom of the deck and checked for grease. None was there. I am assuming that would be where the lower seal would be?? I don't see any grease on top of the deck either.

If the spindle bearing were "sealed bearings" would that make any difference?
Geeez...Greasing a stupid lawn mower shouldn't be this big of a deal.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What you say makes sense Fish. Thanks. I am still confused though:)) I just went back and read the manual. In one place it says to grease the deck spindles every 50 hours. The next paragraph down it says to "Make sure cutting unit spindles are full of grease weekly. Grease the 3 spindle bearings until grease comes out the lower seals". This brings me back to my original problem. I have never seen grease come out any of the lower seals. I cleaned the bottom of the deck and checked for grease. None was there. I am assuming that would be where the lower seal would be?? I don't see any grease on top of the deck either. If the spindle bearing were "sealed bearings" would that make any difference? Geeez...Greasing a stupid lawn mower shouldn't be this big of a deal.

Ok guess I will be the one to stir up the pot.

The zerks are there to make you feel like you spent money on a better built mower.
When in fact you did not.

Think about this you are putting grease in a zerk and the grease can not get into the bearing because the bearing is sealed.
Now you can get a bearing with metal seals that will let in grease. You would need to grease these about every 20 hours. Or every time you hose down the mower or cut in the rain.

What I do is take the metal seal off of one side and instal the plastic seal. This way they hold the grease and help stop dirt from getting inside.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, they mostly put them there to make the customer think that they have bought a better mower, like the older style with the taper bearings with separate races and seals, which would let the old dirty grease escape without destroying the seals.

But folks will grease the living piss out of the zerks until they hear a pop and see grease ooze out everywhere,
but that pop was the seal popping loose, so now grass, water,crud, whatever can now get readily sucked into the bearings while mowing, and their life is seriously shortened.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, they mostly put them there to make the customer think that they have bought a better mower, like the older style with the taper bearings with separate races and seals, which would let the old dirty grease escape without destroying the seals. But folks will grease the living piss out of the zerks until they hear a pop and see grease ooze out everywhere, but that pop was the seal popping loose, so now grass, water,crud, whatever can now get readily sucked into the bearings while mowing, and their life is seriously shortened.

I agree 100%