Pro turn 60 Briggs or Kawa

acacia987

Threads
Comparing the Kawasaki FS730v vs the 25HP Briggs commercial turf on the pro-turn 60. After running all the comparisons, for me and my situation it comes down to the kawa costing $500 more and the torque ratings.
Torque at ~3600 rpm
Kawa: 35 ftlb
Briggs: 27 ftlb (i had to call briggs for this number, what a pain)

so is the 8ftlb hit noticeable?? This is what i am on the fence about.I don't plan on mulching or cutting in a rain storm. my property is fairly smooth and i cut it regularly so i am not wacking away at foot tall grass.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Comparing the Kawasaki FS730v vs the 25HP Briggs commercial turf on the pro-turn 60. After running all the comparisons, for me and my situation it comes down to the kawa costing $500 more and the torque ratings. Torque at ~3600 rpm Kawa: 35 ftlb Briggs: 27 ftlb (i had to call briggs for this number, what a pain) so is the 8ftlb hit noticeable?? This is what i am on the fence about.I don't plan on mulching or cutting in a rain storm. my property is fairly smooth and i cut it regularly so i am not wacking away at foot tall grass.

For what you are doing if you ran two mowers side by side cutting your yard one with the briggs the other with the kawa you would not see or feel any difference.

Now if you was cutting tall thick wet grass and really looking close you would see a difference. Put still not enough to justify spending a extra $500

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at it this way if h.p. is about the same, maintenance parts costs and availability, example: plugs, air & oil filter. I would definitely take a test drive & operate all controls before purchasing. Which engine do you feel most comfortable with ? Listen to engines at idle, half & full throttle.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
For what you are doing if you ran two mowers side by side cutting your yard one with the briggs the other with the kawa you would not see or feel any difference.

Now if you was cutting tall thick wet grass and really looking close you would see a difference. Put still not enough to justify spending a extra $500

Carscw, How's your jd running?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw, How's your jd running?

Now you know I would not have a JD.

I don't care what brand mower it is.

The kawa is not going to make it cut any better then the briggs.

acacia987

Threads
Gravely actually got back to me and corrected what the Briggs support guy claimed. Turns out they both have roughly the same torque at 3650 rpm (36 ftlb).

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

I agree with carscw on this one. I personally think the Kawi is a much better engine, but for what you are doing either will be fine. It doesn't sound like you will be putting a lot of hard hours on the mower. The only b&s engine I am a fan of is the vanguard. Some on here claim the commercial turf engine is the same as the intek engine (not a fan), but I am not sure on that.

acacia987

Threads
Some on here claim the commercial turf engine is the same as the intek engine (not a fan), but I am not sure on that.

I have also heard this, but from what i gather these are much improved over the old inteks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know a lot of guys do not like the intek.
I love them plenty of power and a hard working engine.

I have 3 with over 1000 hours on them. Still running strong.

Only work done to them ( all 3 )
Is a crankcase gasket.

Change the oil and filter every 50 hours.
Keep the air filter clean.
Have only had to adjust valves twice.

Now I did have one break a rod with around 1500 hours so really can not blame the engine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are going to have to operate both and then go with you gut on this one. Both engines are good, you should have no problems with either one.