Primer issue

Cfs

Threads
I am unable to upload photos ‘essage says my files are too big. The original primer was black and did not have a center hole in the top of it. I see that the Tecumseh used a black primer that did not have a hole in it part number 34814 superseded to 35769. Does anyone know if it incorporated a check valve of any type. I have verified that the 911 series Ariens used a 5HP Tecumseh engine that had a remote primer. Maybe I can e-mail the photos to someone who can post them for all to see.

Cfs

Threads
Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_5190.png
    IMG_5190.png
    611.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5192.png
    IMG_5192.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5191.png
    IMG_5191.png
    460.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5188.png
    IMG_5188.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 16

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I’m event more confused. If you have the correct part number, why did you replace an internally vented primer bulb with an externally vented primer? I’ve found this manual which discusses how internally vented primers work on page 8.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
What do you recommend
Thanks
Spit
Getting the correct primer and go from there is what I would do. If the original had no hole then you need one with no hole. They aren't interchangeable. You could be chasing an issue that wouldn't be an issue with the correct part. Can I say the correct part will fix it? Of course not. Just saying that would be my next step. Now the next issue would be, is the correct part still available?

And again, was it running fine before the broken primer? If not then you could easily have two different issues.

Cfs

Threads
This is something I’ve never heard of before. To me I’d like to figure this out or learn from someone who has seen this. Part that really confuses me is I can’t ever recall a Tecumseh carb internally vented with a remote primer. Can you take some pictures of what you are talking about, so we all can see what you have? Use low resolution settings so they aren’t too large to post.
I am a work in progress… it turns out that. It is not positive pressure blowing out of the carb up into the primer… it is in fact vacuum. Negative pressure is drawing air into the carb through the hole in the primer back to the fitting on the
carb. I got the engine running and quickly disconnected the primer from the tubing and while pinching the tubing closed I hooked up a small balloon. I was fully expecting the balloon to fill-up… but it actually seemed to pull what little air that was in the balloon out. As soon as I removed the balloon the engine stalled out. Is there another vent in the carb that is possibly blocked? Can anyone tell me where to look for a vent?

Cfs

Threads
I was will have to ask the customer. Thing is the guy who brought me the mower is the father of the guy and his wife that use the mower. I will see what I can find out and post it

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to include this manual. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf. I’m starting to get the feeling that we are not getting the full picture from you. You came looking for information and help, but the info you provide us is incorrect, which you changed later or sketchy, you had the correct part number but never post it until later. You question our posts and keep repeating what you feel is the problem. I put in a couple hours trying to figure one out, but kept hitting road blocks because I didn’t have the info you have, plus I’m sure that Star has done the same thing. If you continue to want help please reread this entire thread, answer the questions which were asked and don’t assume that your thoughts about this problem are correct. My assumptions about what is wrong have changed each time you add a new piece of information, so to tell you the truth I’m back to square one, as I don’t know what parts of your posting are correct and what parts are wrong. I’ll agree that you have a Tecumseh engine with a remote primer bulb, but I question just about everything else.

Cfs

Threads
I have ordered the Tecunseh primer. I honestly thought that the ones I gave with a hole in them were replacements for all primers. I think the closed primer is going to fix it. Thanks to everyone who assisted me. I will report back when I have installed the part

CFS

Cfs

Threads
I did not identify a Tecumseh part number for a primer without a hole in it until late Sunday night searching Google. That is when I first saw and got a part number. I have always seen lots of Tecumseh Snow Kings with the red primers with a hole in the center in fact that is all that I have seen. I assumed incorrectly that the red w/Hole replaced all Tecumseh remote primers., I looked at the same illustrated parts list that you did for the model/serial number and no remote primer is identified. I apologize and realize that I started asking questions too soon without researching further. I will advise what the outcome is when I get the original style primer and install It.
Thanks again to everyone who took time to respond

Law57

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't know if this helps or not. I did run into a primer issue on an old Tecumseh engine. It would start on fluid - run great. One day I gave it 20 pumps and it started. Another time I gave it 5-6 pumps and held the primer in - depressed. It started cold but died when i removed my finger from the primer. I figured there must be a small hole in the primer so I ordered some new ones. The mower starts and runs fine now. It didn't like that air leak on a cold start.

As an aside - this is my favorite mower. I just use it for trimming - it's not really a work horse. But it's an old Weed Eater brand with an aluminum deck. So light. Just great for working around trees, propane tank, you name it. I always keep my eyes out for another. If one is good. Two is better. More than two you have to hide from your wife.