Preventing Ants

bones66

Threads
Don't know if were talking about the same species of ants but I've had good success with the Terro products. One exception is the sprinkle barrier granules you sprinkle around a perimeter or foundation and then water it in. The indoor product comes in a small plastic bottle. Tear off the little squares on the package and put a few drops near the ants and continue to feed for a few days. The parade will increase (and I mean increase) as they tell the colony and you will need to keep adding drops to the squares. Supposedly they take it back to the colony and it kills the colony including the queen. The package says it's not poison so we used it on our kitchen counters. It is borax and a solution of liquid with a sweetener added. They make a bait station with the stuff for outdoors. It appears that it's the same solution only in weather proof containers. I did see a mixture for borax and sugar water somewhere on the net. You might do a search and find it. The down side to this produce ...time, because you're allowing the feeding insects to take the bait back to the colony it's not an instant kill. We fed one colony for probably 10 days total. The last 3 there were only stragglers appearing. We wanted to kill them all and the little square bait stations were placed inconspicuously so we allowed them to feed. Over a month and not a single ant. I'm not against poison at all but this seemed to me the better alternative. I had two other areas where they were trailing up the foundation and I used the outdoor packages for them an they are no more! Worked for me!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been told that just plain handwash soap or liquid dish soap mixed with water and soaking the hill will get rid of them. It is even better if you have a small earth auger (like you can use with a portable drill) and drill down into the hill before you soak it with the soap.

I have used moth balls for ground yellow jacket nests (don't know if it kills them or they move), but they are not there very long after the moth balls are put down.

jamminloud

Threads
Is there any solution to stopping ants before they get going in summer? We had field ants that destroyed the yard at our last house and it's a common problem in this city. I would like to be on the offense this time and prevent it from happening.

Trying to be more helpful than the guy who said spray your entire lawn with Roundup, I will tell you that you can reduce the amount of fire ant infestation non-chemically by just dragging your lawn with a chain harrow. We drag our pastures with a heavy chain harrow out on the ranch and it really pisses the fire ants off and they move. Eventually you move them off your property. An agricultural chain harrow is too heavy for a lawn but the same principle can be applied with a lighter version of it. And it works well for aerating and leveling too. I know your not killing the ants and essentially moving them onto your neighbors, but it works and your not using chemicals. Just be careful with the weight and do not drag your lawn when the grass is dormant or it will pull it up and kill it.

My2c$'s...........

Cherokee5975

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a product called crosscheck that I use on lawns that is very effective. Apply it to your yard in the early to mid spring and it will control ants tics fleas and all sorts of nasties that can harm you lawn. It is about 25 bucks for a 25 lb bag and ont to two bags usually cover a average lawn. Be sure to read the label and follow the instructions and your yard will thank you.