Preferred Method for changing oil

waylonJ

Threads
I have a small side biz to repair mainly push mowers. I generally don't like to tip the mower to drain the oil since it makes a mess. Has anyone had luck with some sort of extraction pump to suck the oil out? Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once you learn how to quickly tip most mowers don’t make a mess. Go to your local Goodwill store or a thrift shop and get a 12 X 12 X 2 cake pan to catch the oil. Sometimes under those units with a short fill tube, I lay a piece of cardboard under the pan to catch any mess. I do have an electric vacuum pump, but the oil most be hot and it doesn’t save any time. An added advantage to tipping is that while the oil is draining I can remove the blade, sharen it, clean deck and reinstall.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the extraction pump method if the drain plug, if it even has one, isn't conveniently located. Best if the oil is warm and you can tip the mower ever so slightly in the direction that makes the oil drain toward the place where the suction hose is. There is no mess made this way. I think the make and model of mine is a Pela 6000.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am using my Tecumseh oil extraction system I purchases years ago. Electric vacuum pump and 3 gallon recovery tank. Use it on most engine except Kohler because of the lip at the bottom preventing tube from reaching bottom on the Command engines. Works well for the Briggs engines on riders that don't have a drain extension preventing oil from running onto the frame and underneath.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the Pela PL6000 and the Harbor Freight oil extractor. The hand pump Pela is OK for push mowers if it is all you have. Better than turning mower upside down. If you have enough compressor the HF extractor is really good. I haven't opened a drain plug in years.

waylonJ

Threads
Nice!! Thanks guys. I will pick up an oil extractor. Thanks again!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the Pela PL6000 and the Harbor Freight oil extractor. The hand pump Pela is OK for push mowers if it is all you have. Better than turning mower upside down. If you have enough compressor the HF extractor is really good. I haven't opened a drain plug in years.
The Pela 6000 will do every mower and vehicle I have except two (Dodge Cummins and Ford Ranger V6) and it would do the Cummins if I chose to fill it twice. It leaves about a quart in the Ranger due to dipstick placement but that isn't the Pela's fault; Ford had a better idea.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 6000 will do all of mine but i am lazy. No pumping with the HF extractor. Just hook the air hose to it and let it do its thing. Plus i only have to dump it after it has a few gollons in it. Not every time i use it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a 6 liter hand pump and would not be without it ( them I have 3 )
Got one with the business and when the Stens agent went bust, picked up 30 more which I have sold to my motorcycling friends & they love them

Dreamen

Threads
I have a small side biz to repair mainly push mowers. I generally don't like to tip the mower to drain the oil since it makes a mess. Has anyone had luck with some sort of extraction pump to suck the oil out? Thanks!
I do not like to do that as I believe you do not get all the old oil out or the metal filings that come from normal use. Just my thoughts.