Prebuilt sheds

cren

Threads
Those that you can order and they come in pieces, you put it today vs. those that someone hand builds on your property and you pay for labor. Which is better and why? I need a shed but I am also thinking about just picking up one from Home Depot or some place and having it delivered and set in the spot I want it.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lots of variables here....I have never had one prebuilt and delivered nor purchased a kit, I have always bought materials and built my own design. My neighbor recently had a prebuilt one delivered and set in place, he was able to order it with siding and roofing that matched his house. But you pay dearly for the convenience of having one built and delivered or one constructed on your property.

Not to knock the big box home stores, but I think their kits skimp on materials and only meet minimum standards. The ones that use 2x2 framing and 3/8 OSB sheathing are a joke. When I built mine it used 2X4 framing and 1/2 plywood sheathing and was strong enough to have an upper storage floor above the ceiling height. Just my nickle's worth.

If you have little carpentry skill and have to have one built or delivered I'd choose the prebuilt type, because you don't have the materials exposed to weather and you will know everything is already there...hope this helps.

173abn

Threads
my brother in law bought one from Lowes last year,made of plastic! branch fell on it and cracked the roof. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many of the plastic or metal kits are so light weight they will not stay square enough to allow the doors to open and close ... If you really need one and are going to be in and out of it regularly, you need doors and door frames that will hold their shape in use...

Don't buy something that you are just storing around till you send it to the landfill:frown:... KennyV

rmancini

Threads
Got room for a Connex box?
About 10 years ago I bought an 8' x 20' delivered for $1600. The 8' x 40' was $50 more but I didn't have enough room for the delivery guy to swing the turn where I wanted the box to live.
This thing is great - 160 sq. ft. of storage and 100% weather proof.
Rich

dria

Threads
A wooden kit is good if put together right. I found a wood worker who is out of work right now who is willing to work for cheap. He lost his home and has no where to keep his tools and he has thousands of dollars worth of tools. So I am going to house his tools and he is going to build me a wooden shed. Pretty good deal!

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends on where you are and what shed or outbuilding places you have near by. Here in the Piedmont area of VA we have a choice of a few different places. I found that one could be built to my design and delivered for about what I would have paid for materials alone. It is built the way I wanted and placed where I wanted it without my labor. I figure my time is worth something and I probably would have needed to hire some help.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got room for a Connex box?
About 10 years ago I bought an 8' x 20' delivered for $1600. The 8' x 40' was $50
Rich

If you can get by with an 8 foot wide shed, those shipping containers are Perfect, like you said they are weather tight and rodent tight... and nearly indestructible, but the price has doubled and still worth every bit :thumbsup:... You can paint them or side them to blend in with almost any spot... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can get by with an 8 foot wide shed, those shipping containers are Perfect, like you said they are weather tight and rodent tight... and nearly indestructible, but the price has doubled and still worth every bit :thumbsup:... You can paint them or side them to blend in with almost any spot... :smile:KennyV

A lot of townships make a huge hassle out of getting something like a shipping container approved, they want whatever you install to "conform to the neighborhood" What a farce. When you pay property taxes I think you have the right to install whatever you want on your property.