Pre mixed fuel vs mix it up yourself

coffeesnob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had always run my echo weed eater and husqvarna chain saw with my own mix of fuel and oil . as soon as i switched to the cannned pre mix fuel neither would start. Then i went back to the self mix and my echo starts and runs but not as good as it did. I have not tried the chsinsaw yet. Does this make any sense or is it a coincidence?

kbowley

Threads
Just use the Echo 2-stroke oil in the 2.6 oz. container mixed with .8 gallons as well as stabilizer. That canned fuel is a massive waste of money and no better than brand name pump gas. Use regular as it is more volatile than premium.

coffeesnob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just use the Echo 2-stroke oil in the 2.6 oz. container mixed with .8 gallons as well as stabilizer. That canned fuel is a massive waste of money and no better than brand name pump gas. Use regular as it is more volatile than premium.
Ok, thanks. I was told by a guy at ace hardware that the ethanol in reg gas destroys these small engines. But they did always seem to run ok on it

GearHead36

Threads
Ok, thanks. I was told by a guy at ace hardware that the ethanol in reg gas destroys these small engines. But they did always seem to run ok on it
Ethanol will not destroy the engine, but it will affect the carb. The diaphragms and gaskets will become brittle over time, and if ethanol fuel is left in a carb over the off-season, there's a good chance the carb will need a cleaning or rebuild. It's good practice to use ethanol-free fuel. I use ethanol-free fuel in all my equipment. My push mower is 13 yrs old. It's been used every season, and the carb has never been off of it. There are probably people here with equipment much older than that, that still runs like new.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use ethanol-free fuel in all my equipment. My push mower is 13 yrs old. It's been used every season, and the carb has never been off of it. There are probably people here with equipment much older than that, that still runs like new.
I also only use Ethanol-FREE gas, & my 22" B&S Flathead push mower is 18 years old & still runs good. And is well cared for. My vintage Honda FG-100 mini-tiller was made in 1998 & still doing it's job albeit 1x per year. (26 years).

We cut here @ 4 inches.. Lots of other pushers won't adjust that high.

kbowley

Threads
Ethanol will not destroy the engine, but it will affect the carb. The diaphragms and gaskets will become brittle over time, and if ethanol fuel is left in a carb over the off-season, there's a good chance the carb will need a cleaning or rebuild. It's good practice to use ethanol-free fuel. I use ethanol-free fuel in all my equipment. My push mower is 13 yrs old. It's been used every season, and the carb has never been off of it. There are probably people here with equipment much older than that, that still runs like new.
I suggest you find out for a fact. Take two coffee cups, place the diaphragms and the rest of the carb in the cups. Fill one with forty dollar a gallon "true fuel" and the other with pump gas and allow both to fully evaporate. let set for a week, repeat the process for a year and then see if there is any difference between the components in each cup. We inquiring minds want to know. Alternately, you can watch YouTube videos and you decide. Hint: Gasoline turns to varnish and leaves behind said on components, ethanol does not. But being that it is only 10% ethanol, which leaves zero varnish, there will be zero difference. Using Sta-Bil WILL make a dramatic difference, period. As you see in the picture, I have a "couple" of restored or original machines around. Ethenol hasn't sent them to the heap yard yet.

Attachments

• wh214.jpg
    wh214.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170519_140741805 web.jpg
    IMG_20170519_140741805 web.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GearHead36

Threads
I suggest you find out for a fact. Take two coffee cups, place the diaphragms and the rest of the carb in the cups. Fill one with forty dollar a gallon "true fuel" and the other with pump gas and allow both to fully evaporate. let set for a week, repeat the process for a year and then see if there is any difference between the components in each cup. We inquiring minds want to know. Alternately, you can watch YouTube videos and you decide. Hint: Gasoline turns to varnish and leaves behind said on components, ethanol does not. But being that it is only 10% ethanol, there will be zero difference. Using Sta-Bil WILL make a dramatic difference, period.
My equipment fires up every Spring. I'm happy with my current practices. I can't say the same when I was using E10.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I had always run my echo weed eater and husqvarna chain saw with my own mix of fuel and oil . as soon as i switched to the cannned pre mix fuel neither would start. Then i went back to the self mix and my echo starts and runs but not as good as it did. I have not tried the chsinsaw yet. Does this make any sense or is it a coincidence?
Based on several YouTube videos I have watched from known good sources, and personal experience seeing canned fuel in customer equipment, my opinion is to steer clear of canned fuel. 10% ethanol fresh fuel mixed 50:1 with good oil , such as Stihl, is the only way to go. 30-60 days old in handheld 2-stroke equipment. All I run is that evil 10% ethanol fuel in all my stuff and never have problems. Keep it fresh and keep it moving. Mix up one gallon at a time.