Poulon wheeled trimmer with 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115, need throttle/governor linkage help

GetOut

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Poulon wheeled trimmer with 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115, need throttle/governor linkage help
Poulan wheeled trimmer with 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115, need throttle/governor linkage help

I recently "rescued" a Poulan wheeled trimmer with a 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115 engine. It has a throttle cable on the handle.

The machine came to me with the carb partially disassembled and in rough shape, so I replaced the carb. When I installed the new carb, I hooked up everything the way it was set up with the old one, I'm not sure if it was correct originally.

I can start the engine and keep it running by pressing the primer bulb or by pulling on the governor arm. The throttle control does nothing, and the engine stalls if not helped.

I have a couple questions/concerns.

- Governor arm spring has a kink in the center. How do I determine the correct replacement spring?

- Linkage that connects governor to throttle control has hooks on both ends, no "z" bends. Is this correct?

- Governor arm has no resistance or springiness when unhooked from linkages. Arm will not rotate to left, but will flop easily to right. Does this indicate trouble with the governor?

- Mechanism that accepts throttle cable has no spring action.

I've attached a photo of the linkages. I unbolted the plate that sits on top of the carb and tilted it upward to take the photo.

I have the manuals for the engine and the trimmer, but neither has a good diagram of the throttle setup. I am handy, but have no experience with governor adjustment/repair.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Attachments

• tecumseh engine linkage.jpg
    tecumseh engine linkage.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Poulon wheeled trimmer with 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115, need throttle/governor linkage help
Purple looks backwards to me

GetOut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Poulan wheeled trimmer with 4.0 Tecumseh LEV115, need throttle/governor linkage h

Thanks for the replies. I've done some more reading and found that this configuration is called the 'snap in style speed control.' I've attached a photo of its diagram, and I think my linkages are in the correct locations.

It seems this style of throttle offers only a high and low speed, even though the throttle control on the handle of the trimmer has a traditional lever with a range from turtle to rabbit. The long rectangular loop on the left end of the linkage does not get pulled by the throttle control arm until the lever is set to full throttle. This may be why the throttle cable seemed to have no effect on engine speed, since I was incorrectly expecting a full range of engine speeds.

My question at this point is how should the governor arm act when nothing is connected to it?

My governor arm resembles an 'L'. When the linkage and spring are disconnected from it, it will flop over to the right (clockwise) until it rests against the engine case. Is this normal behavior?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 14