Poulan-Will not move

Fishin665

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a used Poulan(model PR18542ST) 6 speed riding mower. The mower starts fine but will not move. I can shift gears with no problems with the clutch in or out(that just sounds like a problem there), the clutch also will not stop the mower(Im assuming it is supposed to stop when pedel depressed), I learned the hard way if not. So how bad is it and do I just need to make a trip to the scrap yard. The motor on this thing is a beast, if I could just get it to work well enough to cut the grass.

The shaft on the transmission is not moving when the mower is in gear. I did check that. Any ideas, Im trying to not let the dang grass ruin my fishing time.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may have a belt problem.
You say you can select gears with clutch on or off.
The way it works is the engine turns the belt which turns the gearbox.
When the clutch/brake is on, the belt should stop turning the gearbox and you can select gears.
If the clutch/brake is off, the belt should turn the gearbox and you then drive forward.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Look under the tractor & above the deck...
Check that the belt is good and that it has enough tension with the "clutch' pedal is released... push pedal while looking at the pulley set up & you will quickly see how it works... :smile:KennyV

Fishin665

Forum Newbie
Threads
Doh! Ok ill put on the stupid sign now. I replaced the belt when we bought it so i never thought about it after that. Its off, didnt have time to put back on but plan on a test drive today.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it kicks back off post back, heck , post back regardless of how it works... :smile:KennyV