Poulan Pro 1842 STC riding mower won't start

dmas

Forum Newbie
I have Poulan Pro 1842 STC that stopped while I was cutting my grass. I felt little resistance just before mower stopped. While stopping, there was metallic sound. I took apart the housing. My battery is good. My engine won't rotate by hand. When I try starting, I see that starter motor is trying to turn the engine, but it cannot. I would greatly appreciate your suggestion. Thank you in advance.
Please see attached picture.
 

Attachments

  • 2021-10-12_10-09-32.jpg
    2021-10-12_10-09-32.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 15
Remove the spark plugs and try to rotate the engine by hand. If you can’t rotate by hand you have an internal problem. If you can rotate by hand, by the starter again. If it will not rotate with starter, check your battery voltage, should be 12.2-13.6 DCV
 
Thank you! I just checked. It was low. Does that lock your engine? Nice feature. Just curious.
depends on how low... if its not between the High and Low lines, then yes, you could have seized up the engine. due to no lubrication.
 
Thank you! I just checked. It was low. Does that lock your engine? Nice feature. Just curious.
I filled oil to the top. I took out spark plug and removed battery wire. Re-plugged spark plug and connected battery wire. I still can't move engine wheel and starter motor is unable to move. My battery is fully charged to 12.6. I tried with jumper cable from my car as well.
Any other suggestion is welcome? Thank you again
 
Usually no
If the top bush runs dry & the crankshaft siezes on it then that will require the crankcase to be machines and a custom bush made and fitted to the crankcase
If you or a friend can do this then it is a viable repair otherwise cost exceeds replacement
If the piston has seized in the bore this can be repaired if the damage to the cylinder is not to great
If the con rod has seized on the crankshaft then usually they can be repaired if the journal is not damaged too much
Continuing to try to force the engine to crank will only do more damage so pull it out & pull it apart .
 
It was lower than low. Can you un-seize engine now? Thanks
Thank you! The seize word was a big help. I was able to un-seize based on you tube video. It is now turning easily back and forth about 1/4 to 1/2 round.
My starter motor and engine teeth are not locking properly. Should I buy new starter motor?
 
Back
Top