Poulan P3314 leaking bar oil

Could be due to a leaking oil pump. Leaking tube between the oil tank and the oil pump. Or even related to temperature changes and some saws have a one way valve on the oil tank, when the oil cools at night is pulls air through the valve, and then when it warms up the tank pressures up and pushed the oil out through the pump.
 
When I'm done using a saw, I always loosen the oil fill cap to let the pressure equalize, then tighten it.

Seems to help a little. Try as you might, they'll always drool a little unless the tank is empty.
 
"They all do that sir"
The whole bar lubing system is all push fits, rubber on plastic , plastic on metal ,metal on plastic.
If you can dig up a parts brake down you will see no screw in fittings.
Most use a tube with an inverted U bend ( like your sink or dunny drain upside down ) as the only thing to stem the flow when not in use.
As the others have already mentioned, pressure build up will force the oil past this "air trap" quite easily .
Then there is wear between the afore mentioned joints.
A good quality saw will have an adjuster on the oil pump and you can turn it down when not in use to limit the oil leaking.
I tell customers to cut a 5L ( 1 Gal US ) plastic oil bottle to make a shallow try and sit the saw in that with a bit of old towel / cat litter / dry sorb or similar in it.
 
Part #52 is the oil pump:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...w-type-1/handle-chassis-bar-assembly-type-1-2

Besides the above, you can either replace the pump, fresh rubber, everything seats tight against each other, etc, OR try setting the machine on it's left side, so the pump is the highest and the oil tank is low(gravity isn't help the oil escape).

Some Poulan saws us a plastic tube that is push fitted into the case just behind the metal bar backing plate. the other end is wedged up into the corner of the oil tank beside the fill cap. By setting the saw with the left side down, you are actually submerging the end of that vent tube in the oil, and create a direct passage for the oil to flow out of.
 
Over the course of years I've had about 6 chainsaws, all different brands, Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, McCulloch , etc.. they ALL leaked Bar oil, what I used to do was after I was through with the saw for that day, I'd flip the saw over, N drain the oil out of it ( also the fuel if it was going to sit for any length of time ) THEN I would place the saw on a few pieces of cut-up card-board, in a cheap plastic storage container ( Wallyworld - $ 3-4 ) every so often I would dump & replace the cardboard ......
 
Attached photo is where oil is leaking out from
attachment.php

This is the tank vent, There should be a cloudy colored tube that runs to the upper left corner of the oil tank from that spot. The connection spot on the tank that you show is below the oil level in the tank. At about the middle level point.
 
There is no cloudy hose connected to that tank vent / hole. I have two Stihl and one Echo chainsaws and none of them leak chain oil like this Poulan. The Poulan also has a lot of compression when pulling the starter. It is fairly new...2016. I bought it used . So far it has been nothing but trouble.
 
Back
Top