Poulan LT7000 weed eater starts, runs for a short time, then dies

johnny7

Threads
  • / Poulan LT7000 weed eater starts, runs for a short time, then dies
Hi all, I have a Weed Eater Poulin LT7000 that I am having some issues with. The unit was brought to me not running. After replacing fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb, diaphragms on both sides, metering diaphragm, plug, and fresh mixed fuel, I started it up and it ran great for about 3 minutes and then it dropped RPM’s, bogged right down and stalled. Tried to start it back up and it was a no go. I took the carb off and took it apart thinking that I had something in backwards but everything was proper.

Again, primed, started, ran for about 3 minutes, bogged and stalled.

Before I go further, I want to post a picture of the gas lines to make sure that they are on correctly. If that is the case, it must be the carb and will have to order one.

The carb on it is a Walbro WA-218 and I am having a hard time finding the exact model on Amazon too. Both fuel lines are on one side and what I can find for replacements have the fuel lines on opposite sides.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20230628_074523_25.jpg
    20230628_074523_25.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 3

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
If you think the fuel lines may be on backwards, simply reverse them and try running it that way and see if that fixes it. When you had carburetor apart, did you clean it thoroughly? It is always better to keep original carburetor before replacing it (especially on 2-stroke? With an aftermarket replacement. How old is unit? How well is it running for 3 minutes before dying?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi all, I have a Weed Eater Poulin LT7000 that I am having some issues with. The unit was brought to me not running. After replacing fuel lines and filter, fuel bulb, diaphragms on both sides, metering diaphragm, plug, and fresh mixed fuel, I started it up and it ran great for about 3 minutes and then it dropped RPM’s, bogged right down and stalled. Tried to start it back up and it was a no go. I took the carb off and took it apart thinking that I had something in backwards but everything was proper.

Again, primed, started, ran for about 3 minutes, bogged and stalled.

Before I go further, I want to post a picture of the gas lines to make sure that they are on correctly. If that is the case, it must be the carb and will have to order one.

The carb on it is a Walbro WA-218 and I am having a hard time finding the exact model on Amazon too. Both fuel lines are on one side and what I can find for replacements have the fuel lines on opposite sides.

Any suggestions?
No Gas line with filter goes to inlet side of carb(nipple carb body), Carb outlet to inlet side of primer(short nipple) and outlet primer(long nipple) return to tank. Basically tank to carb, carb to primer primer to tank

johnny7

Threads
If you think the fuel lines may be on backwards, simply reverse them and try running it that way and see if that fixes it. When you had carburetor apart, did you clean it thoroughly? It is always better to keep original carburetor before replacing it (especially on 2-stroke? With an aftermarket replacement. How old is unit? How well is it running for 3 minutes before dying?
at idle, it ran great, hitting the throttle, it was boggy and tried to stall. let off the throttle and went back to idle and eventually stalled.

johnny7

Threads
No Gas line with filter goes to inlet side of carb(nipple carb body), Carb outlet to inlet side of primer(short nipple) and outlet primer(long nipple) return to tank. Basically tank to carb, carb to primer primer to tank
ok, thanks for this. I have worked on many weed eaters and this one with the remote bulb has got me confused. When it came to me, the hoses were broken and on the internet, there are no pictures of how those hoses should be connected with the remote bulb.

Also, if I can't get this carb working, I'm thinking that I might replace it with one on Amazon since they are under 25 bucks Canadian. I just can't find the exact one or even one that will work. A couple of months ago, I buggered around trying to fix a carb and I just couldn't get it to work even after I put in gasket and repair kits. A replacement carb was the solution.

johnny7

Threads
ok, thanks for this. I have worked on many weed eaters and this one with the remote bulb has got me confused. When it came to me, the hoses were broken and on the internet, there are no pictures of how those hoses should be connected with the remote bulb.

Also, if I can't get this carb working, I'm thinking that I might replace it with one on Amazon since they are under 25 bucks Canadian. I just can't find the exact one or even one that will work. A couple of months ago, I buggered around trying to fix a carb and I just couldn't get it to work even after I put in gasket and repair kits. A replacement carb was the solution.

johnny7

Threads
and here is a picture of the original unit when I took it apart

Attachments

• 20230523_181635_29.jpg
    20230523_181635_29.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 5

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the hose routing in the picture is correct. the hose closes to you on the carb is the inlet, and the one farther from you is the outlet to the primer and then primer back to tank

The WA-218 is superceded to WA-227 which is showing as NLA The OEM carb is 530069647 which subs to 530071639 which is available but is around $60 US.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can never remember which way those remote purge bulbs go so I use the wet finger test
One side will blow so that hose goes to the return line in the tank
The other side sucks so that goes to the outlet side of the carb
the other carb line goes to the fuel filter

johnny7

Threads
thanks everyone for the advise. Today, I will take my notes out and confirm everything and repost my results. After I read ILENGINE, I went out and reversed the hoses but I didn't start the unit up as I had other things on the go. Again, today I will get time to spend with my favorite weed whacker. Here is a picture of the hose configuration and after re-reading your posts, I believe the hoses to the carb are backwards in this picture. The filter is on the outside line going to the tank. Before I took it apart, I marked it with an F.

Attachments

• 20230629_182319_49.jpg
    20230629_182319_49.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: