possible governor issue

markhaupt

Threads
bs model 289707
type 0121 01
code 9209144f

Engine races at idle. Took the bottom of the motor off and examined the governor. It looks like the hole on the bracket that places the governor on top of camshaft is wallered out. Is it supposed to be a perfect circle for the hole?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hole needs to fit neatly over the camshaft to prevent the governor from moving around. I have never seen one wallow out unless you have grit in the engine. If so, then you have areas with concern as well.

DaveTN

Threads
That is odd and would be the first I've heard of being wallowed out into an oval instead of a circle. That governor flopping about on the cam shaft would not be good. Would only be a matter of time till it flew off or into pieces or got hung up in the cam or crank and cause major damage. My cousin bought a new mower from LOWE's with a single cylinder B&S engine a couple of years ago. And the first season, with just a couple of mowings on the meter, it started clanging really bad and sounded like a JackAss kicking in a tin stall! She asked me to diagnose it and I said it sounded like something came loose inside the engine, maybe the governor flopping around and should NOT be ran period but taken immediately to the service dealer. Couldn't imagine what could cause such a loud, clanging noise and still run. Didn't sound like a rod knocking. I could have worked on it, but wasn't licensed by the mfg, or LOWE's to do so and would have voided the warranty. Know what was causing all the kicking, IL ENGINE? Cam BROKEN, flopping around in there. I never heard such a loud clanging in all my time working on engines! I don't see how it ran really.

markhaupt

Threads
after further inspection, the governor bracket and inside of the oil pan both has bad wear indications. The motor was working fine one minute and then the next it went into fast idle. These wear indicators seem to have happened for awhile. Could a slipped adjustment cause the motor to run wild and then cause the wear? There were no obvious metal shavings in the oil or laying around and the cam seems to be in good shape. I would like to repair if possible---a new replacement bs motor is $800.0.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is odd and would be the first I've heard of being wallowed out into an oval instead of a circle. That governor flopping about on the cam shaft would not be good. Would only be a matter of time till it flew off or into pieces or got hung up in the cam or crank and cause major damage. My cousin bought a new mower from LOWE's with a single cylinder B&S engine a couple of years ago. And the first season, with just a couple of mowings on the meter, it started clanging really bad and sounded like a JackAss kicking in a tin stall! She asked me to diagnose it and I said it sounded like something came loose inside the engine, maybe the governor flopping around and should NOT be ran period but taken immediately to the service dealer. Couldn't imagine what could cause such a loud, clanging noise and still run. Didn't sound like a rod knocking. I could have worked on it, but wasn't licensed by the mfg, or LOWE's to do so and would have voided the warranty. Know what was causing all the kicking, IL ENGINE? Cam BROKEN, flopping around in there. I never heard such a loud clanging in all my time working on engines! I don't see how it ran really.

Had a 5 HP briggs about 30 years ago that bent the camshaft where it wobbled about 1/4 inch. the engine died immediately since it would float both valves at one point. I have seen cams broke in two, but never on an engine that would still run.